Chapter 1 -Carolyn

*Carolyn POV*

"So Carolyn, it says here that your father wanted you to live with your mom in New York, if anything ever happened to him. Given the circumstances, you will have to pack your things and your mother, Linda, will take you to live with her in New York." The Lawyer said sitting across from me at the long wooden dinner table in my kitchen.

The man with black hair seemed to be entirely uninterested in my situation. He spoke as if he were telling me about the weather. He had to be in his early twenties and was obviously too young for a job like this.

I don't understand how everyone expects me to just pack up my life and go to New York to live with Linda: the mother who didn't even want me. If she did, she would have taken me with her. I remember when I was little coming home from school and I asking my dad, "Daddy, Where is mommy?" and he quietly replied, "She isn't coming back." But now, all of a sudden, I am expected to go live with her and have no problems? I don't find that very realistic. I mean let's use our common sense everyone.

The man with black hair began to speak again, "okay do you understand everything?"

"No I don't. Not one bit. I don't understand how anyone thinks I can understand what is going on. You expect me to just pack up my stuff and leave? No, not just my stuff, my entire life?" I said getting angrier with every word.

"Carolyn, I understand how upset you are bu-"The Man began.

"No! You couldn't possibly understand how upset I am. My father is dead! And he's not coming back. This isn't just some soap opera! This is my life. You won't ever understand how upset I am!" I shouted as tears filled my eyes.

There was an uncomfortable silence filling the air.

"Did your mother leave you when you were three?" I questioned him.

"No." He said simply.

"So, I'm guessing you weren't only raised by your father." I asked again.

"No I wasn't." He answered.

"Well, then how can you possibly ever, even remotely understand how upset I am?" I said wiping tears from my eyes.

"Well, still if you have any questions, I'm Carl and here is my card." Carl said standing up from the table, handing me his card.

I didn't take it. I didn't want it. He sat it down on the table.

"I guess I'll be going now. Just call me if you need anything." He said.

"Thank you, but I doubt I will Carl. You can go now." I snapped looking down at the floor.

He walked out the front door.

I got up picking up the card and shoving it into my pocket. I walked into my father's room. I looked under his bed and grabbed two brown shoe boxes. I sat them on the bed and began going through the first one.

It contained every picture of me and him. My favorite one was of him sitting on a horse with me. That was the best day of my life. It was when I was 12 and he taught me how to ride the horses. I went to the other box. It had nothing but a simple letter that said on the front of the envelope "To My Dear Carolyn."

I ripped open the Letter to read it.

To My Dear Carolyn,

I knew this day would come at some point in time. Now that I'm gone, I want you to live with your mother, Linda. If I'm correct she lives in New York. I want you to be strong for me. You're already an independent girl and I want you to continue to be that independent daughter that I know and love. You can "finally start dating" now, just pick someone I might like. I love you :) Please be good. Keep your horse for me. She's a part of you. Remember I love you. I left you twenty-thousand dollars for when you turn 18. That's not too far away I hope. Remember I'm always with you.

Sincerely,

You're loving Father, William

I finished reading the letter clutching it close to my heart letting the tears stream down my cheeks and stain the top if the lined paper. I placed the letter in the box of pictures, picking it up. I walked to my room, sobs racking my chest as I packed my whole life and world into the suitcases.

Authors Note: So this would be the first chapter of my first non-fan fic. I have a lot of ideas for this story. Please comment and fan and vote and yeah :) oh and the pic on the side is Carolyn This chapter is dedicated to @rtistique for edditing this chapter and the second :)

-Launna xx