Chapter Forty-Three

A/N I want to apologize for skipping through fifth year so fast. I have so many ideas for sixth, I didn't want to drag anything out now that the story is more about the relationship than Elizabeth's place with the Golden Trio. I'm planning on having either two or three more chapters in fifth after this!

"I'm not going to lie, Ginny," I breathe out, holding onto her tightly, "I'm terrified of heights. I really hate this."

I hear her laugh. I keep my eyes closed, knowing if I look down I'll probably freak out wondering if I'm slipping off the thestral. Ginny volunteered to go without someone who could see the creatures, and I took one look at Neville's face and knew I couldn't make him do the same. The only comfort I find is in how Harry, Hermione, and Ron are all able to fit onto one. Luna and Harry had to confirm multiple times for me that I'm sitting far from the edge.

"There it is!" Harry yells, and I make the mistake of opening my eyes right as we start swooping downward. I repeatedly whisper swears as my stomach rises to my chest. I hear someone else shouting, and I train my eyes on the back of Ginny's head to keep from getting dizzy and falling off.

When we land, I let out a groan, releasing Ginny. My body feels shaky and disoriented as Harry hops off, helping each person down. He reaches me as Luna reaches Ginny, and he grabs my waist, lowering me down. I stumble a little and Harry catches me with a laugh as I embrace him tightly.

"Never make me do that again, Potter," I whisper in his ear, pushing myself away from him. "I'm going to be sick."

"Me too," Hermione mumbles.

"That was wicked!" Ron exclaims.

We sneak into the ministry shockingly easily, probably due to how late it is. We make it to the dark hallway Harry always sees, and when he pushes the door open, we all light up our wands. I feel chills as I step inside, surrounded by the walls of gently glowing orbs. Everyone spreads out to look for Sirius, and I approach one of the glass balls, hearing a faint whisper.

"Elizabeth," Neville whispers. I turn around, seeing him staring at one on the shelf opposite mine. "What are they?"

"Prophecies," I realize, seeing blurry images melting across their surfaces. "There are so many."

"It's beautiful," Luna whispers, her eyes peeking through the shelf at me.

"And terrifying," I add.

We search the entire room thoroughly, but see no sign of anyone else. I approach Harry, who leans against a wall with his face buried in his hands.

"I'm sorry, Harry."

"I put you all in danger for some trap," he says. "Not to mention the punishment we'll inevitably get when we get back."

"It's okay," I tell him, rubbing his shoulder a little. "Let's just get out. It was a fun little adventure, and we aren't in any danger right now."

He drops his hands and offers a smile. I return it gladly.

"You did what was right. You risked yourself to save someone you care about," I say. "That's amazing."

"Thanks, Elizabeth."

"Of course." I gesture down the aisle that leads to the door. "Let's go."

The others return to us as we begin walking, until I hear Harry stop us.

"This-wait," he says. "This has my name on it."

"What?" Ron moves back to look at it, as does Hermione. I glance at the door, uneasy about hanging around.

"You have a prophecy," Hermione whispers. I turn back right as his fingers close around it.

I feel a strong breeze blow past me, and I let out a scream when I feel someone grab me from behind.

"Potter! So nice to see you here," says a familiar voice that sends a chill down my spine. The hands holding me shift my wrists to one hand, and a wand is pressed against my throat. I turn my head to see that everyone but Harry has been grabbed by dark, hooded figures. I take deep breaths, trying to clear my head of the panic clouding my thoughts. A figure passes me, and with a wave of his wand, the mask lifts to reveal shiny blond hair. "I suggest you leave that with me."

I try moving my fingers to reach my wand that's in my back pocket, but I'm being held too tightly in place. Nails dig into my skin, and I feel the death eater's breath on my ear. It reminds me of when I was caught by one at the World Cup...it makes me feel infinitely worse about this situation.

"Why do you need it?" Harry asks, not taking his eyes off of Lucius.

"It's not me who needs it, Harry. It's you," he says, stopping right in front of him. "Oh, Potter. You wonder why you got your scar. Why you survived that killing curse so long ago. This prophecy has all the answers. You just have to give it to me."

Harry's eyes flicker down to the orb. I bite my lip, taking a deep breath before I shout, "Don't listen to him, Harry! It's not-"

The wand digs further into my neck, and my words are cut off as I begin to choke. I shut my mouth until the death eater stops. Lucius turns around, the dim light just enough to illuminate his strange smile.

"Medlor. I can't say I'm surprised to see you here," he says. My stomach twists nervously. What does he know?

"I've waited thirteen years to find out why this happened." Harry draws his attention away from me, and I see Neville staring at me wide-eyed from across the aisle. Harry looks away from the orb and pulls out his wand. "I can stand to wait a little longer. Reducto!"

The shelf explodes, and I take the chaos as a chance to twist from the death eater's grip, pulling my wand out. I stun the one that was holding me, running with the others from the shelves.

"Split up! They can't catch us all," Ginny calls out. I turn left and run down another aisle.

"Flipendo!" I cry out when another death eater turns down the same path I'm on. He's thrown back, and I jump over him, seeing a head of black curls in front of me. "Stupefy!"

"Protego!" Bellatrix Lestrange stalks toward me, a deranged smile on her face. "I've heard a lot about you, El-"

"Diffindo!" She lets out a shriek as her arm is slashed open, and I stun her before she can recover. I continue running, seeing Harry being chased by Lucius into another room. I try to hit Lucius but miss on my first try. I follow them, and right as he raises his wand to get Harry from behind, I shout, "Expelliarmus!"

Lucius's wand slips from his hand and flies straight into my grasp. He whips around, his eyes flashing with anger that momentarily makes me regret my decision. He doesn't move toward me, however, but lets out a cold laugh.

"My my, you are stronger than you appear," he says. "What a shame you don't understand what side you'd truly thrive on."

I see Harry staring at me from behind Lucius. His eyes flicker between us as if trying to figure out what Lucius is saying.

"What do you mean?" I ask, trying to calm my wavering voice. I hold my wand out in front of me.

"I'm shocked your father never told you."

"Elizabeth, what is he saying?" Harry asks, his voice cutting into me like a knife.

"He didn't have to," I whisper. "I heard you, that night, you know? When you told Draco who my father was."

He raises his eyebrows, smirking. "Oh really? Then I'm sure you have the rest figured out by now."

He raises his hand and claps. Once again, arms grab me from behind, a wand poking into my throat as the stranger moves me closer to the center. The others apparate into the room in clouds of dark smoke, each holding one of our friends.

"Elizabeth! I'm shocked by your manners," Lucius announces. I can still see Harry, whose expression tells me everything about how angry he is. "You always greet your parents when you see them."

My blood runs cold, and I let out a shaky gasp.

I knew it.

"Dad?" I whisper, and the wand slowly lowers from my throat.

"Hi, Elizabeth," says the death eater holding me.