Three: Friendship

It has been four days since I have even spoken to Zuko. Since the last night that I saw him, I have been cursing his name. Why would he talk to me like that? We're supposed to be partners, right? He is so rude and conceited; everything I was expecting him to be. Prince Zuko is the last person I want to be around, let alone get married to.  Fire Lord Ozai isn't making anything better. He is forcing me to attend celebratory tea sessions with himself and the other advisors. It's aggravating to hear about the future of the Four Nations without having any say in it. They see me as a person that needs to be seen and not heard. However, I need to maintain this alliance to keep my people safe. Even if that means marrying a man I detest. 

  Today is going to be filled with wedding planning, which means me just sitting there and watching people run around like they got their heads cut off. Every single part of the wedding needs my approval. How can I approve something I don't even want in the first place? I entered the main hall of the palace and was greeted by the planners and officials. Then they gestured me to my seat and I silently made my way over. Suddenly, I heard the doors open again. A familiar voice reined over the rest.

"Is she here?" It was Zuko; my day just went from bad to worse. Zuko made his way over to the table and sat down right next to me.

"Hello Princess." He smiled. I turned my head to look away from him. His smile changed to a smirk, that bastard.

"I see you're still not talking to me and I wanted to apologize for what happened." He continued.

"And you had to do it now?" I asked.

"I thought it would be a perfect time. There's to many people here for you to start a fight." Zuko sneered. I huffed and turned away from the conniving prince. He then put his mouth closer to my ear.

"Besides, I'd win anyway." He whispered into my ear. I sat up suddenly and smacked my hands down on the table in anger.

"That's it, I've put up with this for too long." I yelled. I stormed off in a rage. The audacity of that boy to speak to me like that? I will not tolerate that much disrespect, especially from him. I charged my way to where Fire Lord Ozai was having his morning tea. I could hear Zuko following right behind me.

"Ozai, I cannot marry this man, he is rude, conceited, and has no respect for me." I screamed to Ozai. He sat and stared at me. Zuko then came into the room.

"Zuko, are you being rude to our guest?" Ozai said.

"My actions have been un-chivalrous, and for that I apologize." Zuko said while bowing. I scoffed. How could anyone believe this crap?

"See? All better." The Fire Lord said.

"No, it is not all better. Reprimand him please?" I said with an angry tone. Ozai sighed.

"Katara, I don't have time for this. Now will you two get along and let me be?" He asked. I huffed away as soon as I could. Of course Ozai isn't gonna be on my side on anything dealing with the Four Nations or his son. How could I be so stupid getting myself wrapped up in all this? I was never meant to marry a man who is my sworn enemy. I was never meant to become a pawn in the war either. There's a first time to everything, I guess.

I slowed down my angry stomping as soon as I spotted the kitchen. I showed myself in; there's nobody in here, strange. I walked over to the water trough and bended some of the water into ice. I then ground up the ice into tiny ice shavings and put some coconut juice on top. This was a famous treat back in my kingdom. The people called it shaved ice. I smiled at my creation and took a bite. Suddenly there was a loud clang behind me. I bended water into my hand and prepared for what was coming next.

"Take it easy, it's just me." It was Zuko, again. I released the water and sat back down.

"What do you want?" I asked. He sighed.

"I came to genuinely apologize. I have been a menace to you ever since you came here and I am truly sorry." The prince said.

"Why have you been acting like that anyway?" I asked.

"To be completely honest, I'm not happy about this marriage either or this war." He said. I looked down at my hands and sighed.

"The Fire Nation is the only thing keeping my kingdom and my people safe from despair. My duty as a ruler is to put aside my differences and keep them away from harm." I said. Zuko looked up and into my eyes. His yellowish brown eyes burned into me like a sun.

"What differences do you have against the Fire Nation?" He asked.

"The Fire Nation killed my mother." I confessed. The room fell silent. Zuko sighed.

"That's rough, I'm sorry." He said while looking down at the kitchen floor.

"She was taken prisoner in a Fire Nation raid of the Southern Water Tribe when I was a little girl because she was the wife of the chief, my father. Once I became of age, I became the leader of the Southern Water Tribe due to my father going off to fight in the war. Then Princess Ue of the Northern Tribe became ill, leaving me to rule both tribes. Sometimes I wish my mom was here to take that burden off of me." I explained. Zuko just stared and the room once again fell silent.

"I lost my mother too." He simply said, finally. I looked up at him with sympathy.

"She disappeared into the night with only a hug goodbye. I have reason to believe that she was drove out by my father." Zuko said. I looked deep into his eyes as he did mine; I felt connected to him.

"Why would she be drove out?" I asked.

"My father had reason to believe that she was apart of a team that had the goal of finding the Avatar." He said with pained look on his face.

"The Avatar has been gone for 100 years, he has gone extinct. Why would your mother be looking for him?" I asked.

I don't know but when I went to go look for her, my father thought I was trying to join them. As a result, I was disciplined with his flames. Thats how I got my scar." He said, pointing to his scarred eye.

"I'm sorry, that must've been painful." I said, Zuko chuckled.

"It was so long ago, I barely even remember it" He said.

"I guess we have more in common than what we thought." I chuckled.

"Yea I guess we do" He laughed.

"Friends?" I asked. I extended my hand for him to shake. He took it and shook it with a force.

"Friends" Zuko confirmed. I smiled at this gesture. Now life at the palace won't be so bad, I hope.