Chapter Six - Be Prepared

"There has been no word from them in days." Far away, back in Atlantis, a worried Aria told an equally distressed Vulko. "The dolphins are still out searching for any sign of them, rallying other sea life to search as well, but it's like Aurelia and  Orm have just vanished. I visited her father and cousin, and they haven't been back there either. And now, Orvax has the Trident and I fear it's too late-"

"As do I, My Love." Vulko took her hands and gave her a hopeful smile.  "I don't want to think the worst has happened... Mera has been meeting with the other kingdoms and their spies. Perhaps we can still rally enough of a force to take down Orvax. Her father still stands at the King's side, but she has many friends and allies in her home of Xebel, so maybe she can get some help... " He spoke the words, but even he knew deep down that this was near impossible, especially now that Orvax had gained the great and famed Trident of Atlan. The King would have his war - it was now inevitable. "We have to try. We've come this far and there are too many people - Atlanteans and surface dwellers - who are counting on it.  And we must hold onto hope."

Orvax called an urgent meeting in the Great Hall where he addressed the crowd. King Nereus of Xebel, Mera's father, stood at his side, allies together. Both were already dressed for battle in their armour. 

The ruthless king addressed the crowd. "Fellow Atlanteans, today begins a new era.  Today is only the beginning - first, down with the Surface World!" There were roaring cheers of approval at this.  "They too shall sink beneath the surface as Atlantis rises! We will rise to our full might and power, that which we have for too long been denied. The surface shall sink, and Atlantis shall rise!" He held up the Trident in a valiant gesture. 

"We put so much pressure on her with the prophecy," sighed Aria, whispering to Vulko over Orvax's passionate speech.   "We were asking a lot of her, even too much."

"We mustn't lose faith," Vulko said.  He sighed as well.  "But you're right, I agree. And now I fear what has happened to her..."

(The chapter title was inspired by, as you may have guessed,  Scar's song in The Lion King ;) I thought it was appropriate for this villainous moment! A pretty short chapter I know, but I wanted to check in with the other side of this story.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))