f i f t y s i x

"I don't know if I can do this." Jason says as he stares at the house from the passenger seat of the car, his brother sitting next to him.

"Ha, funny. Get out of the car and go get your girl." Joe states, making Jason look at him with wide eyes and that's when Joe realised that Jason was seriously nervous. "Jason, this is the love of your life. You can't just let her slip away. And anyway, she is just walked out. So hurry?"

"What?" Jason brings his focus back to the house to see her locking the door. Without thinking he gets out of the car, closing it behind him, before walking towards her. "Rory?"

At the sound of his voice, she freezes. Her heart drops to the bottom of her feet. She turns around, her eyes wide in shock and that's when he stops, similarly frozen in place. All his thoughts had mixed up and he couldn't think straight anymore. He could see the pain in her eyes, and it hurt to know he was the reason behind the pain in her eyes.

"Jason. What are you doing here?" Aurora cleats her throat, after a few seconds of silence, making him shove his hands in pockets.

"Can we talk?" Jason asks softly.

"I have to go. I'm meeting up with Cole." She says, causing her heart to drop. He had seen the picture of them together on Instagram, but hearing it from her broke him.

"Please. I just need a minute." He says and for a second he thinks she is convinced, but she shakes her head.

"This is a bad idea, Jason. You should go home." She states firmly, starting to make her way towards the car.

"Vanessa broke up with me a year ago." He says, making her stop in her track. She turns around, even if she knows she shouldn't, deep down she felt like she had to hear him out. "I thought she was the love of my life. During the year, once in a while, she'd come back and claim that she loved me only to leave again. When we met, it had been two weeks since she left. And until two weeks ago, she didn't come back. But I never understood why she wouldn't stay or why she would come back, and I still don't."

"Why did you let her do that to you?" Aurora asks as she crosses her arms over her chest, making him chuckle.

"Why'd you let Cole hurt you?" He asks rhetorically, making her wince in understanding. "I loved her. I thought she made me happy. She was my everything and I couldn't let go."

"You're speaking in past tense. What changed?" She asks, causing him to smile softly at her.

"You. You came into my life. I was lost, I didn't know when Vanessa would come back or if she ever would. But on May 8th, the most beautiful, amazing girl came into my life. You make me happy, Aurora. Happier than Vanessa ever could. But I was scared. Scared, you'd leave me too." Jason shakes his head as he looks down at the ground. Tears had started to well up in her eyes as she takes a step closer. "Instead I pushed you away."

"I would never leave you." She points out, making him look up and her breath gets caught in her throat at the sight of the vulnerability in his eyes.

"I know. Because you're different. And that's why I love you." Her eyes widen at his confession, this team she can't stop the tears from rolling down her cheeks. "I love you, Aurora. You're the only one who could make me this happy."

"I love you too." Aurora breaths out, making him breath out in relief. Without having to think twice, she rushes up to him and pulls him in a hug, making him drop his head on her shoulder. "Next time, please just talk to me. We're in this together. Okay?"

"I promise." He says with a nod, making her pull away a little to look at him, her hand resting on his cheek. She pushes herself on her toes and connects their lips in a kiss. Her whole body relaxes into him, as he holds tightly on to her. She pulls away with a smile, making her grin. "I should let you go."

"Do you want to come?" She asks with a pout, making him raise an eyebrow. "Okay, yeah sounds bad. Two of my exes in the same place."

"I'd hope I'm not an ex anymore." He says, making her giggle as she shakes her head. "You go have fun with Cole. Joe is waiting for me."

"He is?" She asks as she looks over his shoulder to see the twin's car with Joe in it. He waves at her, making her wave back with a wide grin. "Okay. I won't make him wait longer either. You'll text me after right? Or you know what, text me as soon as you get home."

"You sound clingy." He says teasingly as she hits him playfully.

"Too bad. I'll talk to you later." She muses, making him nod.

"Okay. Love you." He pecks her one last time, making her grin happily.

"Love you too." She hums, before turning around to walk towards the car.

"Be careful." He calls after her.

"Always."