Chapter 8 ~ Twilight Transformation

Veronica POV

Just a few short days before the first event of the Triwizard Tournament, I had witnessed Draco Malfoy be socially humiliated by Professor Moody. Admittedly, Draco had been acting like a douchebag toward Harry, so he kind of deserved it. Still, I felt that transfiguring the Slytherin boy into an albino ferret had been an extreme and unwarranted punishment to say the least. And while everyone around me was laughing hysterically, I just stood there, practically frozen in shock. I was speechless, unsure of what I could do to interfere. Thankfully, Professor McGonagall entered the scene and was able to end Draco's torment. Like my head of house, I was starting to question not only Moody's unorthodox measures, but his sanity as well. Not even Snape had done something like that to a student. 

Draco, now returned back to his natural form, fled the scene after mouthing off to Moody one last time. The other students continued to roar with laughter. I exchanged a glance with Hermione, who was staring at me with unease. I rubbed a hand over my face, gazing in the direction where Draco had run off to. I made a silent promise to myself that I would check on him in Herbology, if given the chance at least.     

Honestly, I was a tad distracted throughout Professor Sprout's class. Everyone around me refused to shut up about Draco's incident with our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Though I glanced at him occasionally, Draco focused intently on his notebook, not even looking up at Professor Sprout as she went through her scheduled lecture. As I had hoped, the Slytherin boy had lingered behind at the end of our class, though I could see by the look on his face and his overall demeanor that he was not at all happy about what had happened just the hour before. I couldn't blame him, especially since people had continued to make jokes about it under their breath throughout the whole period.

When I approached Malfoy, I was taken aback when he referred to me as a Mudblood once more. He hadn't done that for quite a while, the whole school year, actually. I frowned disdainfully, offended by his attitude toward me. The logical part of me knew that Draco may not have meant to say what he did, but I chose to overlook that concept. I practically spat my reason for attempting to address him and then stormed away despite Malfoy's protests to the contrary.
I will say though, Draco was persistent. He followed me all the way back to the castle, all the while trying to get my attention. I finally came to a stop when he grabbed my arm. He did not hurt me, but it was definitely an action that caused me to pause. I couldn't help but ask him why he disliked me so much, but instead of confirming my accusation, he explained that he didn't hate me. However, since we were so short on time before our Charms class and we were beginning to draw attention to ourselves, we agreed to continue our discussion in the Forbidden Forest later that evening. 

Back in the girls' dorm some hours after my conversation with Draco in the corridor, Ginny and Hermione were shocked at the most recent turn of events. Especially the part where he agreed to meet with me in the woods and explain everything. "That's brilliant, Veronica, but why did you say the forest?" Hermione asked, tilting her head to indicate her interest. "Um, I actually don't know. I guess it was the first thing that popped into my head. Somewhere private but open, just in case things go south." I answered. Plus while I'm waiting, I can practice my animagus powers. I added in my head. "Just be careful. I know you like Malfoy and he's been surprisingly nice to you up until this afternoon, but this could all be a trick," Hermione reminded me gently. "I know, Mione. I'll be okay though, I can handle the Slytherin Prince." I replied with a confident smirk.

Two hours after dinner, I got up off of the velveteen window seat in our bedroom. Ginny and Hermione were sound asleep, their chests rising and falling with slow and shallow breaths. I went over to my closet and changed into a blue off the shoulder top, jeans, and my black ankle boots with two inch heels. "Perfect," I whispered, briefly admiring my appearance in my mirror.
The only thing left to do was transform into my animagus so that I could sneak out of the castle. Concentrating on my intentions, I felt my body shifting to fit my animal form. I looked down at my hands, finding that they had indeed become paws, covered with tawny fur and black spots and stripes that matched the rest of my feline body. I had successfully transfigured into my animagus form, the ocelot, also known as the dwarf leopard. Staring at the reflection of my rounded ears and long whiskers in the mirror on the opposite wall, I prepared myself for my late-night adventure.
I padded quietly across the room and pawed open the cracked door, then slunk down the stairs and into the common room. It was deserted, save for a couple students who had fallen asleep in the arm chairs and on the couch. I purred in satisfaction, crossing the room to arrive at the portrait hole. I jumped inside and meowed loudly, acting as if I was a random student's pet. The Fat Lady swung forward and let me out. Once on the stairs, I bounded down to the Entrance Hall and made my way outside to the courtyard. Here I paused to make sure that Filch wasn't around before I bolted across the school grounds.