Chapter 23 ~ An Avian Envoy

Summer break had been in session for about two weeks, but most of my time had been spent sitting in my room researching spells or spending time with my mother and sister. It was a Sunday morning when my mother awoke me, looking rather interested and excited about something. She was standing over me, a wide smile splitting her face. "Veronica! There is an owl on the mailbox with a letter. I think it's for you!" My mom might be a muggle, but she knows a lot about the wizarding world from what I've told her. She even knew about Draco and how our years of bickering had now developed into romantic feelings. My mother and I both peeked out the front door window to look at the avian.

The owl that sat upon my mailbox was massive, easily bigger than Hedwig. In fact, its size was more comparable to that of my six year old sister. It appeared to be a Eurasian eagle owl, with bright orange eyes and long feathers in shades of tawny browns and golds, mottled with dark black markings. Two long tufts of feathers surrounded the owl's ears, and it ruffled its wings impatiently as it met my eyes through the window. "That is one beautiful owl," My mom muttered. I nodded in reply, knowing that there was only one person I knew who had a pet like that.

I rushed outside and over to the mailbox. Veronica was scrawled across the front of the parchment envelope in familiar ink handwriting, surprisingly neat for a boy. I smiled and accepted the parcel from the owl and I held out my arm for it. It stepped onto my forearm, gripping me with razor sharp talons that were longer than my fingers. I admired the creature as I brought it inside my home, stroking the soft feathers under its chin. "Who's that from? Hermione? Ginny?" My mom asked. "Draco," I answered as I began opening the letter. "Oooohhh your boyfriend." My mom teased. I just chuckled and shook my head, amused by her immature behavior.

Veronica,

I told you I would write to you. This summer has been very eventful for my father. For me however, it's been bloody boring without seeing you. I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait to go back to Hogwarts. Meet me on Platform 9 ¾ this year, so that we can board the train together. By the way, my owl's name is King, in case you wanted to know... How is your summer? I hope it is going well. Keep me posted and try not to throw yourself into any other dangerous situations, my brave Gryffindor.

Yours truly,

Draco

I took his letter up to my room and put it in a drawer, still carrying King on my arm. I smiled and grabbed a piece of my own parchment, then went back downstairs and began writing my reply letter. "Draco...." I began as King perched regally on the desk beside me and groomed himself, reminding me so much of the boy he belonged to. September could not come soon enough.