Chapter 13 ~ Yuletide Young Love

The next evening approached far sooner than it seemed it would, the entire castle bustling with excitement as students and teachers alike readied themselves for the Yule Ball. Hermione had chosen a pretty ombre chiffon gown for the occasion, with a silk bodice, sheer sleeves and layers of carnation pink ruffles that slowly darkened into a deep magenta. She had pulled her hair back into a curly up-do and put on some light makeup, and then finished the ensemble with shiny satin covered heels that matched her dress. Ginny had purchased a high-waisted dress of pale pink with opaque layers of mint green chiffon overlaying the semi-full skirt. The chiffon was edged with a border of lace around the bottom of her skirt and her collar. Little star shaped buttons of hot pink stood out on the front of her dress and matched a wide ribbon tied around her slim waist. She wore a matching choker and a set of white patent heels, and Hermione and I helped pull her hair back in a braided princess style for the occasion.

As for me, I had been lucky enough to find a strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and an empire waist that allowed my skirt to flow gently around my form with every movement. Like the other girls, my gown was primarily chiffon, though it was a solid shade of powder blue. Intricate silver beading decorated the bust area and around my back, the little crystals glinting in the dim lighting of our dorm. I pulled my hair back into a half ponytail and curled the dark layers until they cascaded down my back in twisted waves. A pair of silver heels that sparkled with glittering accent jewels matched my dangly cubic zirconia teardrop earrings and necklace set. Makeup wise, I put on some light lavender and silver eyeshadow, black winged eyeliner and mascara, and a pink lipstick just a shade darker than my usual lip color. Once satisfied with my look, I made my leave to head to the dance.

When I rounded the corner of the final staircase that led to the Entrance Hall, my eyes immediately fell on a familiar figure standing at the bottom banisters. The shiny white-blonde hair, the sharp features, the steely gray eyes...all of which caused my heartbeat to accelerate. Draco shifted from one foot to the other, distracted, while Parkinson held onto him tightly, her arms coiled around his torso in a way reminiscent of a boa constrictor suffocating its prey. I felt a pang of sympathy for my friend as he stared at his date with an exasperated expression. Out of nowhere, he turned and looked up at me, a small smile slowly spreading across his face. Blushing darkly, I quickly glanced away and continued to walk down the stairs, hoping he hadn't noticed me staring at him. However, I did take note that several people I knew were watching me with stunned expressions, apparently taken aback by my appearance, though I couldn't fathom why.

Taking a deep breath, I reached the bottom of the stairs and looked around, wondering where to go and what to do. There was still a good ten minutes until the ball actually began. I walked past the elegantly dressed couples and made my way down the hallway to one of the outdoor balconies. "I can't believe that Mudblood is getting so much attention!" I heard someone say from behind me. I immediately recognized Parkinson's voice and snickered. Perhaps she has finally seen Hermione. After all, she looked gorgeous when she left the dorm room. Surely other people have noticed that too. I thought, glancing around to look at the Slytherin girl. To my surprise, her eyes were locked on my form and narrowed dangerously. Realizing she had been talking about me, I threw her a satisfied smile and kept on my way, my chin a little higher than before. I have to admit though, I took a bit of guilty pleasure in noticing that Draco was staring at Parkinson in a mixture of disdain and hatred.

Out on the balcony, the air was cool on my bare back and shoulders, causing me to shiver slightly. I walked forward to the very edge of the balcony and stopped at the railing. I sighed boredly, staring down at the Black Lake and the ship that was now docked there. Quiet footsteps approached from the doorway, distracting me from my thoughts even though I didn't turn around. "Come out here to get away from all of the snogging too, eh?" A distinct male voice asked. Its familiarity was a comfort to me and I nodded absentmindedly, "Yeah." Draco sauntered over and leaned against the railing next to me, resting his elbows on the stone with his back to the water. "Veronica, you look...brilliant." He complimented my appearance, standing not a foot away from me and seeming to shift closer with every word. I turned beet red and glanced at him, briefly admiring how nice he looked in his black and white dress robes. "Thank you. You don't look bad yourself, Mr. Malfoy." I returned with a smile of my own, though most of my focus was on my mental attempt to calm my racing heart, the result of the Slytherin's close proximity. Draco's grin widened upon hearing my words, but he dipped his head in acknowledgment, "Thank you, Miss Dovefeather."