Chapter 28 - Calls

On the fifth day, Sam decided to leave the treehouse behind, and return to the surrounding forest, hoping to rediscover the peaceful life of camping. She made sure to take the documents from Obi, and the notebook in which she recorded her dreams. Although the change in location disrupted her schedule, she eventually fell into a rhythm. She woke when the sun rose, recorded her dreams briefly, then worked out. She would spend the rest of the morning reading, before going hunting to catch something for lunch. In the afternoon, she dedicated herself to the documents. By mid-afternoon she was typically bored and went exploring, hiking deeper into the wilderness. Arriving at her new location, she pitched her tent and cooked her dinner. Only after dinner did she allow herself to reflect on her dreams, using the notebook to mark her feelings.

She'd made sure to bring reading books that related to self-discovery and self-love. Although Sam couldn't stand sappy romances without true plots, so she also made sure that the books were packed full of adventure. The books helped with her reflections. But more than anything, the chance to be alone with her thoughts was transforming her dreams. The dark orbs never disappeared. But then again, she didn't expect them to. She knew she wasn't going to get rid of the nightmares in her past. What her reflections did achieve, was to make the orbs lighter. They didn't absorb as much light from the surrounding balls of light. They didn't invade the space of her positive memories, no longer taking over the room with their foreboding darkness.

It was at the end of the first week that Sam walked past the compound. She'd gradually been circling back to the treehouse, ready for a warm shower, but must have misjudged her path. The compound rose out of the trees ahead of her. The setting sun casting a shadow throughout the forest as it descended behind the concrete walls. Sam cautiously approached. Vines grew up the walls, the gates were wide open, weeds pushed their way up through the courtyard. It appeared abandoned, yet Sam didn't want to take any chances, staying in the tree line as she walked along beside the barbed fence.

Despite everything she thought she had been achieving, seeing the barred windows and solid grey concrete made bile rise in her throat. She swallowed her disgust, turning away from the building and delving deeper into the forest. As she walked towards the treehouse, she couldn't seem to tear her mind away from the compound. It had invaded her thoughts, and she couldn't help remembering her actions when she'd attacked the building. She didn't feel bad for what she had done, maybe a little bit ashamed when she remembered Liam and Aiden's faces. She knew she had acted justly, albeit a bit drastically. Yet seeing the compound reminded her of all the other werewolves at risk out there, and she couldn't shake the feeling that she shouldn't be laying low in the forest waiting, but that she should be acting.

She had the plans for the final compound, knew the location, had her plan perfected. Sure, she'd planned it for multiple people. But when has the prospect of acting alone ever deterred me? Sam had never needed anyone else's help. Not that she hadn't welcomed help occasionally. But she didn't like to rely on others. A characteristic of hers that she'd recently realised that she liked about herself. She admired her own independence, and that she could still work with others despite it.

Striding deeper into the forest, she realised what she had to do. She had to take on that compound, and soon. She would hate herself if even one more person was tortured because she'd chosen to delay. And with that thought in mind, she broke into a run. She knew that some part of her might feel guilty in leaving the pack, especially the twins, realising that they would be worried about her and were desperate to help her. But this was something she had to do alone. And she could always call them to allay their worries.

Arriving at the treehouse, she undressed in record time, shoving her dirty clothes into the washing machine. As it ran its cycle, she jumped into the shower, rinsing off the grime from the past week. Exiting the shower, she towelled off, leaving her hair dripping wet down her back. Dashing around the room, she packed her bag. She felt rushed, as if she had to leave immediately. She knew that the sensible thing would be to wait until morning, but the night would provide good cover from the other wolves living in the forest as she descended the mountain.

As a loud yawn emanated from her mouth, she realised that maybe she was being a bit rash. She at least needed a couple of hours of sleep before she left. Once the washing machine had finished, she set it to tumble dry the clothes, then climbed up onto the mezzanine to get a couple of hours sleep.

She awoke a few hours later, the sky still dark. She'd packed nearly everything the previous night, only adding a couple of extra weapons as a second thought. Picking up her bag, she glanced around the room, checking that she hadn't forgotten anything obvious. Phone? Check. Charger? Check. Weapons? Check.

She locked the door behind her as she left, slipping the key into the hammock on her way past. Sam set off at a brisk pace, slowly breaking into a jog as she felt her muscles warm. She dodged trees and branches as she sped up, maintaining a wide berth around the packhouse. It was only when she finally reached the valley that she paused, peering up at the mountain behind her. She wasn't sure why it felt like a goodbye, but there was a sadness within as she gained distance from the house, something pulling at her heart.

She dialled a number into her phone, grinning at the familiar voice that picked up. She quickly arranged travel with her contact; a private jet that would meet her at the nearest airport, a mere three-hour jog away. Before she set off, a twinge in her mind stopped her. Sighing, she pulled her phone out again, knowing who she had to call. A small hope wished that her call wouldn't be answered.

"Hello... You've reached Aiden, leave a message!" Luck was with her, the call had gone straight to voice mail.

"Erm... hey Aiden, it's me... not sure what to say... not sure why I called honestly but felt like I should, felt like I needed to let you know that I'm leaving for a while, but I'll be back. I just don't want you to worry about me." She hung up, cringing internally at the sappiness of her message. But it was too late to change it now.

Sam glanced up one final time at the peaks above her, the trees that sheltered her home, before turning her back and running off towards the horizon.

Hey readers! Hope you're enjoying the story  :-) There are another threeish chapters planned for this section. But don't worry! I've got another part/book (depending on how long this part ends up) planned for after.  I just wanted to split it into two so that I can write and perfect one at a time. Please let me know what you think so far xx