Chapter 8: Incognito

In the assembly room. Ozpin stood in front of the entirety of the student body. A few cameras were there to broadcast Ozpin's speech to the rest of the city. The Headmaster began by clearing his throat as he approached the mic.

Ozpin: "Good afternoon, students. Today I am here not on my own accord, sadly. But on the accord of a terrorist. A violent psychopath of which I'm sure you already know of his name."

Huntsman: "Let us rest for crying out loud!"

One student yelled from the crowd, Ozpin tried to shush him down along with the others who piped up in agreement with him.

Ozpin: "I know that my recent decisions have not been the best. But I did it for the sake of Vale... no, Remnant's safety."

Pyrrha: "What will we do about the Joker's bomb threats!?"

The red haired spartan asked, aloud.

Ozpin: "I have reason to believe that even if I say the truth, he'll nonetheless blow up the hospital which he's rigged."

Ruby: "We have to try nonetheless!"

Ruby called. Weiss placed her hand on her shoulder.

Weiss: "Ruby, quiet down. Remember, the Joker said if we try and attempt any sort of evacuation. He'll destroy a hospital either way."

Ruby sighed. The feeling of hopelessness began to wreak havoc in her head.

Ruby: "No one ever told me that being a Huntress was this hard..."

Ozpin: "All the same, I have the highest of hopes that the Joker's humanity will prevail over his obviously damaged mind. So, now I will reveal what he has said my secret is..."

Every student in the assembly listened intently, furious at their headmaster for making them stay out for three days 24/7 on guard duty. Nevertheless they were intrigued on what he had to say concerning the Joker's alleged claims.

Ozpin: "You may have noticed that Team CFVY has been absent for the past few days... Whenever a student came up to me and asked me on CFVY's whereabouts, I would lie and claim that they were on leave somewhere in Menagerie. Hunting down terrorists associated with the White Fang... They are not. I sent them on a mission to capture the Joker, this was before all of you knew of his existence. They never returned, and I still don't know of their fate."

This caused a rouse in the crowd, students expressed their shock or anger in this raised mutter. Ozpin looked down in shame of having lost an entire team of some of Beacon's best, and also having to break the sad truth to his students. Albeit it is not the truth which the Joker requested. But rather a way to distract people from the real truth. The Maidens, which leads to knowledge of Salem. That in turn would lead to the knowledge of her invulnerability, people would lose hope. Hope is something that cannot be lost, especially in these dark times.

Meanwhile, in the nearby crowd of Vale policemen guarding the assembly.

Stood a figure with a slightly enlarged cap. To hide his bagged eyes, brought on by sleepless nights of planning and careful calculation. The two cuts situated on the edges of his mouth could easily be mistaken for wounds received while on duty in the crime-ridden areas of the city. Since he wore a clown mask every single time he appeared on camera, nobody could recognize his face... added to that his makeup was washed off.

Surveying the speech, he cracked a sharp and ugly smile.

(Y/N): "Lookie here, that's a bold move for you Ozzy Oz."

He thought to himself. Amazed that Ozpin would even tell his students about their dead friends. Quite interesting...

- (Y/N)'s POV -