11~ a gift.

Kai's PoV

"Yamamura! Morning!" A cheery voice called out as I walked in through the gates.

"Oh, morning Yamaguchi. Tsukishima too." I smiled and waited for them to catch up.

"I watched the video last night. I mean, I don't really understand basketball that much but those guys have some serious skills!" Yamaguchi fawned.

"That's why they're some of the most well known young players in Tokyo." I said.

"I don't like them." Tsukishima stated, "They all look like they've got their heads too far up their asses."

"So you actually watched the video?" I asked, not expecting him to have done so.

"I guess." He shrugged.

"Hey... Yamamura..." Yamaguchi asked.

"Hm. What's up?" I tilted my head.

"Well... I was just wondering, what would it be like if you ever ran into any of the others again?" He asked nervously.

"Well... I doubt any of them would make the effort to see me and I don't intend on doing that either. Unless we meet by coincidence then, I'm not sure. It'd depend how they acted I supposed..."

"Right..."

"That old team of yours has some serious skills..." Daichi said as we walked into the gym after school.

"Hm... but they really seem to be lacking in the whole 'team' part." Sugawara added.

"Yeah... both of you got that right." I nodded with a soft chuckle.

"Anyway! This isn't basketball practice, volleyball time! Prelims are right around the corner!" I clapped my hands and they nodded with a laugh.

As they all began practicing, I walked towards the stage and went through my data. The coach was getting ready to start their receiving practice but today I wanted to help out with it.

"Uh, coach!" I said as I ran over to him, "can I help with receives today? Two at a time?" I asked.

"Oh... sure, it gets more done that way." He nodded.

Two stands were set up either end of the net, the coach on one and me on the other. Kiyoko stood between us waiting to throw us the balls. The team were in two lines and we began throwing down the balls, 5 each.

"Nice one Noya!" I praised him as he got them all. To make it tougher for him, I sent a few all over the place on purpose, some closer to the net and others further, so he could test his reflexes.

"Next up, Yamaguchi!" I said as Noga ran to the back, the coach taking care of his own side.

"U-uh right!" He nodded and ran into place.

I began tossing to him and he was getting them but something was off... he gets too nervous when the ball comes towards him.

"Yamaguchi!" I said, stopping for a second, "Don't tense up so much. If you keep panicking when the ball comes towards you, it'll stress you out even more. Plus, the more you tense up, the harder it is for you to react." I said
With a smile.

"O-oh... okay!" He yelled with a nod, "ONE MORE!"

"Hm." I hummed before throwing the final tosses.

"That's more like it. Right, next!"

For the rest of practice, I made the effort to work with each of the players. It was either to enhance their skills or just give them advice I could. I worked with Hinata and Kageyama for a while as they worked on perfecting their attacks. Then it was Asahi handling blocks from Tsukishima, Tanaka and Kageyama. Noya was there to get all the receives and Sugawara was setting to him. I talked to Daichi about things for the team and some practice ideas, as well as working with Ennoshita, Kinoshita and Narita. Though those guys sit in the bench a lot, there's always the chance they'll be subbed in so they can't slack off either. Yamaguchi was trying to work on his serves and I gave him as many tips as I could, it's just down to him getting it now.

"Good work today guys!" The coach said, "go and get your stretches done now."

"Hey kid!" Coach called out to me and I turned to face him with a nod, "good work today too. You helped out a lot again."

"Ah, thanks." I smiled as I packed my things away.

"Daichi! You still getting us some meat buns?" Tanaka yelled.

"Huh... I did promise, of course." He nodded.

"SWEET!" They all yelled.

"1 each, yeah?" Daichi did as he handed out the meat buns he brought us all.

"Thank you for the food!" We all smiled before tucking in.

"Eat up and let's go home." He said with a nod.

"Oi Tsukishima! Daichi got us meat buns!"

"Oh, thanks." He nodded and took the bag from Tanaka.

"Hey, wheres Yamaguchi?" He asked.

"He said he had an errand and went home."

"Oh I see."

Days passed, practice continued as usual. Some days were tougher than others and all the players were working their hardest. I worked on hand signals in class with Hinata, helped the coach and Takeda where I could, and kept pushing the players until I knew they were working their best. Before we knew it, it was June 1st. The day before Interhigh.

"Well done everyone!" They cheered as they lined up before us.

"Let's quit early and head home to rest up." The coach said.

"Yessir!"

"Right, let's go-" Daichi began before Takeda cut him off.

"Uh, wait a minute! Can I add one more message? It's from Kiyoko."

"Uh?"

We all averted our attention to the manager as she looked down shyly, "I'm not that good at pep talks, so..." she began before jogging off somewhere.

"Takeda, if you will."

"Leave it to me!" He nodded.

We watched and walked over to the two up on the balcony as they layer out a piece of fabric.

"One, two-" he counted as the two of them threw the fabric over the banister so we could see it.

"Oooh!" Everyone gasped as we looked up in awe at the banner.

The words 'fly' were written on the black fabric.

"I didn't know we had this!" Sugawara said.

"I found it whilst I was cleaning, so I washed it." She answered.

"OHHH I'm on fIRE!" Tanaka yelled.

"I'M IMPRESSED KIYOKO! YOU DO GOOD WORK!" Noya added.

"ITS TIME TO GET PUMP-"

"Not yet." Daichi stopped them, "I think...there's more."

We all looked up at Kiyoko again as she had a small blush on her face.

"Y..." she started, "you can do it."

Everyone was frozen, and I looked over to their blank faces. Before I could even say anything, their eyes turned into fire hydrants and they began sobbing.

"H-huh!" I gasped as I watched them.

"KIYOKO... HAS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!" Daichi sobbed.

"These people are dumbstruck..." Tsukishima said.

"WE'RE GOING TO WIN ROUND ONE!" Daichi yelled.

"YESSIR!"