Chapter Seven: Closer

Okay Guys! This is a big deal! Almost 100 people have read this story *eek* I really love warrior cats, but I never imagined that you guys would read every chapter! You seem to like it when I update daily, so I'm gonna keep doin it.  The Who's My Favorite Cat competition is still on until someone guesses it.  Just pop it down in the comments, and I promise I will read all of them.  This chapter gets all touchy feely, and I don't think I captured Jayfeather's grumpiness enough, so yeah.  Anyway, I do not own warrior cats.  Let the chapter begin!

Briarlight glanced over at Jayfeather.  If only I could be with him, be closer.  No.  She scolded herself.  Jayfeather was a medicine cat, and besides, he didn't like her back.  He would never want to hurt me or possibly my kits by letting them grow up without a father.  Not like he did.  She was getting ahead of herself.  Jayfeather would never mate with her, much less want kits!  With a sigh, Briarlight fell back into the whispers of sleep.

Jayfeather glanced up.  "Yes, Berrynose?"  Berrynose made a startled noise.  "How'd you know I was here?"  Jayfeather sighed.  "I'm blind, not deaf."  Jayfeather scented blood around Berrynose's pad.  "Did you step in a thorn again?" 

"It wasn't my fault this time.  Lionblaze went ahead and said the coast was clear, but obviously it wasn't, because there was a thorn." If Jayfeather had eyes, he would have rolled them.  "You just need some 'stupid herbs' as you call them."  

While applying the poultice, Jayfeather's mind started to wander to the brown she-cat that he had fallen for.  She's just so beautiful on the inside and out.  Always positive, even after what she's been through.  I would gladly take her place if I could.  He sighed. She could have any cat.  Why would she pick grumpy old me?  I don't want to make the same mistake Leafpool did, but I wish I could be so much closer with her.  Berrynose let out a startled gasp,  sending Jayfeather's mind back into reality.  Stupid fur ball!  You applied to much of the poultice!  Jayfeather started licking of the excess.  "You're all good to go, just don't move around too much."