Ikari One-Shot - City Girl

I'm unsure if I like this One Shot or not. Let me know what you think!

I didn't want to go to Drew's birthday party. But Reggie had forced me. I really didn't want to engage with idiots from my high school. But I was sitting on a lawn chair watching Ash Ketchum dunk his friends underneath the water anyway. And I certainly didn't want associate with Dawn Berlitz, but here she was talking my ear off, earning a roll from my icy, metallic eyes, and occasionally, a grunt. I hardly wanted to get wrapped up in her world of princesses and tiaras. I'll admit that I barely know anything of her, except that she had moved here earlier this year.

Quite honestly, I wasn't one to assume, but with Berlitz, her inner thoughts went about as deep as a kiddie pool. There was nothing there below the surface. And the blunette had to knew that she was an open book, she moved to our small town in March and not even six months later, everyone claimed her as their best friend. Everyone beside me anyway.

It's been hours of being there but Drew insisted I stay until cake, so I sat annoyed, but sat put, waiting and trying to zone out this Troublesome Girl beside me.

"—I'm allergic to chlorine, so I—" The sun was glazing itself into place just above the grass. Drew was so rich that for miles around, you couldn't see any neighbors, just the sunsetting. The light was painting itself into hushed oranges and pinks, an array of sun Dawn wouldn't begin to take notice of underneath that umbrella she was hiding under. The air was sticky, almost like a layer of oil was insisting to rest upon my actual skin. So at this point, the water was getting quite tempting—

"Wait, you're allergic to chlorine?" I scoffed.

Dawn's blue orbs, as blue as the previous sky, widened in a mocking disbelief. "He speaks!"

I, however, at this comment, rolled mine, catching a glimpse of the pale purple the sky above was forming. "Only to comment on how pathetic that is." There was something about that sky that was breathtaking, even more so than the stars that would soon replace it. It was this hour of golden pinks and purples that people rarely seemed to notice here.

"That's a good use of the word. It was really devastating growing up with it because the other kids would construe it into a reason not to invite me to parties or play dates, but now it hardly bothers me. High schoolers are much more chill, especially here."

I pointed to Ketchum who had Misty above him, carrying her almost like a piece of lumber, "You call that chill?"

She laughed, "I call that obnoxious, but in the sweet, friendly way."

I leaned back against the pool chair I was occupying, and remarked sardonically, "Those are the perfect words to describe you! Just scratch the sweet part."

"Wow, Shinji. This is a new low for me."

"Pathetic," I smirked.

She smiled, sickeningly. "You like that word, don't you?"

"I just think it fits its description well."

The girl hummed, closing her eyes for just a moment. When she opened them, she saw the same sky I was admiring. The burning, searing orange of the fading sun directing itself into a pink which truly shifted into the deep, moody purple above us. The stars were beginning to glimmer and flash, with fireflies buzzing their oblong bodies happily about.

Dawn opened her eyes, asking, confusedly, "Is that...?"

I didn't want to answer because I knew it'd lead on her annoyance. She was infringing on what a peaceful night this could've been, but of course Ketchum wasn't helping either.

The blunette stood up in her pink bikini, her hair falling messily down her back. "Was that a firefly?"

I began to chuckle almost uncontrollably. "Have you never seen a firefly?" I looked into her eyes, wide as saucers, just like a Deerling in headlights. "Oh, you've lived in Jubilife your entire life."

"My mom was so busy until this year when she decided to move to a rural area to give me a real chance at high school and making friends."

"I see," I muttered.

"Well it worked!" The blunette chirped. "I'm no longer depressed and a lifelong, though childish dream of mine is coming true. Did you see where it went?"

"There's always more around grassy areas," I explained and followed her as she made her way off of the pool deck and to the bushes. This child-like intrigue revealed interest in me.

Upon arrival to Drew's lawn, Dawn gasped. "There's so many of them!" It was quite a spectacle, they were all twirling and buzzing around, lighting up an area growing darker by the minute. They were seemingly trying to match the moon, but seemed much brighter in the girl's eyes.

I guess I didn't really know much about her, and my previous statement was wrong. She was an open book, with nothing below the surface lower than a kiddie pool. But with one secret: her secluded city childhood established a need for her to want to experience all things in life. Even the childish ones. I'm sure people in all walks of life can relate to that.

All of a sudden, we heard Gary Oak yell to us, "Hey! Berlitz! Shinji! Stop making out and come get a slice of cake!" I was disgusted that he wouldn't even think my mouth would go near hers, but I refused to argue because I knew the longer I spent with this girl the more I unintentionally learned, and I was ready to stop that.

We ran back up to where the party was resuming and heard Ash scream, "Cannonball!!" And well, you know what happens next.