Irresistible

Rollo was more of an arrogant fool than Edithe first thought. But if he would teach her how to fight then so be it. She would not resist such an opportunity especially since it was one she had always longed for. Her father might have given her a small dagger but learning how to sword fight like her brother was always out of the question no matter how many times she asked.

Now, with the heathen gone, Edithe could allow herself to smile. Happily grabbing a broom and helping Haedde who was already sweeping away the dust and cobwebs which coated every inch of his wretched house.

"It is nice to see you in better spirits now, my Lady."

"Hm," Edithe laughed. "If you teach me how to speak like these heathens and he teaches me how to fight like them then I can feel freedom is already within my grasp."

"Please don't say these things," Haedde sighed. "I'm trying to help you and believe me, you should not do so much to displease him."

"Pleasing that heathen is not my concern and I hope it never will be."

"Don't be so careless, child. Do you want to be a slave? Or be taken by another man who would not be so gentle?"

"Gentle?" Edithe mocked, "he's a barbarian. Last night he took off all of his clothes and forced me to lay in the bed with him."

Haedde dropped her broom and hurried towards Edithe, cradling her tightly in a mother's embrace. "I did not know," she soothed, stroking Edithe's hair. "I promise the first time is always the worst. It will get better but if he is too coarse with you then there are remedies to help you heal."

"No. No... he didn't do... that." From the way Haedde was holding her, and for the simple fact that she was a slave, Edithe felt almost ashamed to admit the truth of last night. "He only... held me."

She released Edithe from her embrace, frowning, "nothing more?"

"No, but-"

Haedde held up her hand, "then he is gentle and treating you kindly, Lady, and you should not complain."

Edithe straightened her spine, there was no shame in wanting her freedom and she could not allow this old woman to cloud her judgement. "I cannot say why he has not harmed me yet but he will. It is only a matter of time. I saw the way he looked when he killed my brother, he enjoyed it. He is brutal and takes pleasure in hurting people."

"Yes, he's a warrior but these Northmen are good to their wives. They live as equals here and you have a chance of being a free woman. You should not squander it for stubborn pride."

"These people are godless, Haedde. I will not have you defending them to me and accusing me of pride."

"Please, forgive me, Lady Edithe. I just do not wish you to be ignorant of the luxuries you have here," Haedde held onto her arms affectionately, her face filled with concern. "You will not be the first woman to marry a man she does not care for. Let him put his babes in you and you will find love and happiness with them. There is nothing more loving than a child no matter who its father is."

Edithe smiled weakly. Just like last night, it was clear Haedde was too afraid to even consider freedom and any conversation on the matter would only end in circles. But Kattegat contained other Saxon slaves and even the priest she had seen the morning after the raid. Surely one of them would want a chance of freedom with her. If not, she would find a way to do it alone.

She was only glad she'd stopped herself from attacking Rollo in the night. Though it was difficult to resist hitting him with the hammer, her sensible side had been right and biding her time had brought her greater opportunity. Now she had a chance to prepare herself properly and, though she did not want to give him any credit, it seemed perhaps Rollo was not going to force himself on her just yet.