Easy Company

In the morning Edithe woke before Rollo and for once he hadn't fallen asleep completely nude. So there were no sins to distract her and no excuse for her to look upon him, yet she gazed upon him anyway. Watching the rise and fall of his chest and listening to the gentle sound of his snores.

A lock of hair had fallen across his face and with every breath, it seemed to tickle his nose. So, without too much thought, she brushed it away. Just like she would have done with Nessie, who always crept into her bed at night to share warmth and whispers.

She missed the affection as much as she missed her little sister and perhaps that was why her fingers lingered on his cheek far longer than they needed to. If they hadn't, he wouldn't have caught her, his eyes springing open in one heart-stopping moment.

She snatched her hand away. But her escape was too late, as it often was with Rollo, who caught her wrist and held it firm.

"What are you doing?" he asked, his voice still laced with sleep.

So many nights she'd lain in this very bed wondering if he would reach over and violate her. Yet it was her doing the reaching, her invading his personal space.

"Nothing," she said, tugging away from his hold but he didn't relent.

He eyed her with suspicion before rolling onto his side, cradling her arm.

"I should go wait for Haedde."

"Stay," he whispered, nuzzling into the furs.

"But she'll be here soon."

"No," his eyes were closed, his words still slow and sleepy. "I spoke to her last night, she's running errands today."

He held her loosely now, giving her the option to leave if she wanted to and good sense told her to do it. But another part of her relented. The bed was soft, the room still dimly lit and she'd never really liked early mornings anyway.

Laying down she thought he would doze for a while but when her head hit the mattress his eyes peeled open and he smiled, their faces now level. Such intimacy would have frightened her a few weeks ago and in a way, it frightened her still. But only because it reminded her of their kiss and how soft his lips had been on hers.

"I've planned something for you today," he whispered as if they weren't the only two people in this entire house.

Now it was her turn to feel suspicious, "what?"

"You'll like it."

He was probably right. Rollo seemed to understand how to speak to the part of her soul which others always tried to repress. The lessons, the sword and shield, the warriors clothes. Things she had always desired and he had given them to her freely yet she paid for them in guilt.

He closed his eyes again and she studied his face. Wondering if he could feel the way she watched him.

Lying here he was so unguarded, so unlike the man who'd raided her village. But it was him, no matter how genuine his apology had sounded last night. She'd never imagined he would say sorry to her. She hadn't thought he would care or even think to care. So she was surprised and struck by an unexpected decision.

Could she forgive him? Did she even want to?

Forgiveness was a virtue she did not easily possess and he was a heathen, surely unworthy of any absolution from his sins. Yet holding onto her hatred was becoming much harder than she anticipated.

More than anything, Edithe was angry at herself and her own shortcomings. Her plans to escape had fallen somewhat to the wayside because, in truth, she was afraid. Afraid of what lay beyond the safety of Rollo's reach. Afraid she wouldn't be strong enough.