[06] MOVIE NIGHT

It had become somewhat of a regular thing for May to sneak into Jacob's room during the day, where they would talk for a bit

It had become somewhat of a regular thing for May to sneak into Jacob's room during the day, where they would talk for a bit. Jacob's parents would think he's just upstairs in his room doing homework, while May's parents were under the impression that she was staying at the neighbors'.

May always has to be careful to check her surroundings whenever she heads out, because if anyone found out and reported it to the police, or even worse, the news, it would only put Jacob in a worse position.

He knew it. She knew it. But they knew they had to be careful. And that's exactly what they've been doing. They even have a plan when they hear Jacob's parents coming upstairs.

May would get up, and hide in the closet for a few moments, until they would be in the clear. It took a lot of unnecessary lengths to hold their friendship, but this was their only friendship.

They were both struggling in their own messed up ways, better off together, than on their own.

"I never understood why everyone who has glasses is automatically smart." Jacob comments. May looks up from her phone, chuckling.

The two were sat on his bed, May sitting by the edge, cross legged and facing the wall, while Jacob lied against the wall, slouching down.

"Smart people have poor eyesight because lower graphics makes your brain run faster." May responds, imitating an explosion, and gesturing as of her mind had been blown.

Jacob copies, making the same sound effect. "You're not doing it right." She shakes her head. "Oh, I'm sorry. Is it more like—" he tries again, crossing his eyes at the same time.

"Not even close." May shakes her head. It was strange how easily both of them could forget their problems when they were around each other. Maybe it was just because both of their problems started with one boy, and a tragedy.

It goes silent for a moment, their laughter dying down. They didn't have to be so quiet, as Jacob's parents weren't home.

"How's your home situation?" Jacob asks all of a sudden, shutting off his phone and setting it down on his lap. "It's not great." She sighs.

"My Mom never stops crying. That's why I hate being home so much now. Sometimes my Dad just leaves for a day or two, then comes back like nothing happened. It's just— it's hard on all of us, you know?"
She admits. "In different ways."

"Yeah, I know." He nods. "I'd probably be doing the same if I didn't sneak out here all the time." She mutters, adjusting the bracelet on her wrist.