[08] GRADUATION

About a month had past, but it had felt like a year for May and her family

About a month had past, but it had felt like a year for May and her family. May thought that her middle school graduation would be one of the most exciting days of her life, but it can't be even close to exciting when she isn't graduating alongside her brother.

Though May and her parents mainly avoided any contact with the school, today, May and her mother had driven to the school for May's graduation.

Her mother had even agreed to make a speech on behalf of Ben and everyone else who is struggling in these hard times.

Now, May sat amongst her classmates, dressed in her robe, listening to the eighth grade choir. She sat beside Derek and an empty seat, which was supposed to be Ben's.

Derek would look to her every few seconds with a sad look on his face, wondering if he should say anything, but always decided against it.

It takes all of May not to tear up. The song the choir was singing wasn't any help, and neither was the empty seat beside her.

As soon as the song is over, everyone claps and cheers. May wipes away any tears from her eyes, then continues to clap.

"Thank you to our eighth grade chorus for a wonderful performance." The principal says into the mic while the students walk off the stage and take their seats.

"We are, all of us, trying to process the mixed emotions we're feeling right now. Ben's mother, Joan, is here and asked to say a few words." The man announces.

May looks back, watching as her mother walks though the aisle. The red headed woman glances at her daughter, nodding to her, then stepping onto the stage.

May laces her fingers together anxiously, taking in a shaky breath. "This is, of course, an incredibly hard day for us, but I think Ben..." the woman pauses, attempting to hold back her tears.

"But I think Ben would have wanted May and I to be here. To let his classmates know... how proud of them he would have been." She sighs. "We wanna thank the school, and the PTA especially, for the endowment that's been established in Ben's name." She adds.

May purses her lips, a tear slipping out, though she quickly wipes it away. Derek notices this, and looks over at her. When she realizes, he quickly turns away.

"It means a lot to our family. To Ben's friends... we wanna wish you every success as you continue on to high school in the fall. And to your parents..." she takes another pause, looking up at the bleachers.

"..appreciate them." She says tearfully. "I know you do, but please. We forget sometimes." She cries.

May can't seem to think anymore. Her vision is blurred, and her mind is clogged. She could tell almost everyone else was either crying or almost crying.