Chapter 1: Lady Catherine

The morrow came too early for Adele's liking. She was walking to her room for toilette when she heard Mr. Collins say to Elizabeth, "Do not make yourself uneasy, my dear cousin, about your apparel. Lady Catherine is far from requiring that elegance of dress in us which becomes herself and her daughter. I would advise you merely to put on whatever of your clothes is superior to the rest-there is no occasion for anything more. Lady Catherine will not think the worse of you for being simply dressed. She likes to have the distinction of rank preserved."

Adele humphed, however, she expected nothing less from Lady Catherine de Bourgh. She hadn't changed at all it seemed. Surrounding herself with who would lick her shoes and would oblige her command without any questions. That had led to quite a damage. Ever since Lord de Bough died, her ladyship had been incharge of the Park and due to her vanity, the size of Rosings Park itself, she had not been a good judge of who to employ. Therefore, every April, her two nephews arrive at Rosings to check the accounts.

While they were dressing, he came two or three times to their different doors, to recommend their being quick, as Lady Catherine very much objected to be kept waiting for her dinner. Such formidable accounts of her ladyship, and her manner of living, quite frightened Maria Lucas who had been little used to company, and she looked forward to her introduction at Rosings with as much apprehension as her father had done to his presentation at St. James's. Adele found herself annoyed by the constant interruption and her feelings matched that of Elizabeth.

As the weather was fine, they had a pleasant walk of about half a mile across the park. Every park has its beauty and its prospects; and Elizabeth saw much to be pleased with, though she could not be in such raptures as Mr. Collins expected the scene to inspire, and was but slightly affected by his enumeration of the windows in front of the house, and his relation of what the glazing altogether had originally cost Sir Lewis de Bourgh. Adele, already had visited Rosings a few times back when she was young, was totally indifferent. She was used to grandeur, being living with Lady Marshall and a constant visitor at Pemberly.

When they ascended the steps to the hall, Maria's alarm was every moment increasing, and even Sir William did not look perfectly calm. Elizabeth's courage did not fail her. She had heard nothing of Lady Catherine that spoke her awful from any extraordinary talents or miraculous virtue, and the mere stateliness of money or rank she thought she could witness without trepidation. While Adele, had known and met and ANNOYED Lady Catherine more times than she would have liked, had enough courage in store to face the matron.

From the entrance-hall, of which Mr. Collins pointed out, with a rapturous air, the fine proportion and the finished ornaments, they followed the servants through an ante-chamber, to the room where Lady Catherine, her daughter, and Mrs. Jenkinson were sitting.

Mr. Collins went first and bowed lowly for her ladyship and then for Miss Anne. The others followed. Adele did not observe the others, however, she was quite conscious of how nervous Sir William was, being beside him and also the light trembling gave him away. Charlotte, as settled with Mr. Collins that she would introduce everyone, started the introduction and lastly, when she reached Adele, her ladyship interrupted her.

"Miss Bennet," Lady Catherine said.

"Lady de Bourgh," Adele smiled, almost mischievously, "how good to see after so long. You have aged beautifully, I see."

The statement had been a constant joke among the cousins and Adele. They always flattered Lady Catherine to have their way, which they made her felt was her way. She could see Anne coughing a well concealed laugh and smirked lightly.

"Well, you too have grown quite pretty," her ladyship said in a plain tone, "especially when one saw you look so plain as a child."

Adele knew not to say a word, for if not here, she would be listening to a long speech from Mr. Collins when they would reach the parsonage and she did not want two grim things to happen at the same say to her. Anne was a silent spectator, however, she was helpless, Adele knew, for Lady Catherine never approved her daughter to speak in inferior company ever.