Chapter 3: Affections New and Old

As soon as Elizabeth got Adele alone, she wasted not one moment in shooting questions her way. 

"Tell me now, dear sister," Elizabeth asked her, "how do you now Colonel Fitzwilliam?"

Adele sighed, however, she smiled lightly at her sister.

"Let me tell you something, Elizabeth that no one except Papa and I know," she started. "When Adelina and I were taken in by Uncle and Aunt Gardiner, Aunt's sister Lady Marshall decided that she would take one of us with her and raise. The one that she chose to take was I. Aunt Gardiner was happy because it would give me more exposure and I did not mind, because I already knew Lady Marshall."

"Lady Marshall lives in Derbyshire," she continued, "just like it is said that one half of Derbyshire is owned by the Darcys, another half is owned by the Marshalls. Lady Marshall had no child but she raised me as her own. The Darcys and Marshalls being good friends, I found myself in constant company of the late as well as the current Mr. Darcy."

Elizabeth gasped, "But why did you not tell us anything?"

Adele chuckled, "I am telling you now."

Elizabeth glared lightly at her but her curiosity overcame her wounds, "Then what happened? Why did Mr. Darcy did not say anything too?"

"Well, he did not recall, as everyone used to address me as Ady, he did not know it was I," she said, "The current Mr. Darcy and I were the best of friends as we were only a few years apart. Georgiana was too young, however, we still share correspondence. Along the line, Mr. Wickham also became Mr. Darcy's friend, as he must have told you."

Elizabeth nodded.

"Mr. Wickham and I never looked eye to eye. The late Mr. Wickham was a kind man but none of his kindness was inherited by George. He envied our friendship, Mr. Darcy's and mine, and tried his best to pull us apart. He, being the only other man of Fitzwilliam's, Mr. Darcy's, age, also became close to him. He started to influence Fitzwilliam's decisions. One of them being friends with me. One day, Wickham came by the Marshall's estate to threaten me to leave Fitzwilliam alone. I was no lady then, believe me, I broke his nose."

Elizabeth gasped but Adele giggled lightly.

"Unfortunately, what I did not know was that Fitzwilliam had come too and chose that very moment to play witness. George Wickham being the wicked man he had always been, lied that I was threatening him to stay away from him and when he did not listen, I broke his nose. Fitzwilliam, blinded by the new budding friendship, believed him and vowed to never talk to me again."

"That was not nice of Mr. Darcy," Elizabeth commented.

"That was also not very good of Wickham," Adele retorted, "and as of Colonel Fitwilliam. He is like a brother to me. When he used to visit the Darcys, he always visited me and we were almost inseparable. At my debutante season, he was there for me. He introduced me to many and we renewed our friendship. Adelina was fond of him too."

Before Elizabeth could say or ask any further, Adele excused herself for a walk.

____

For the days to come, Colonel Fitzwilliam became one of the regular callers in the Parsonage. However, his attentions were rather unequally divided, which did not go unnoticed by Adele. The most part of his attentions were gone to Elizabeth, who oblivious to the fact, entertained him too with her wit and humor. Adele was not far behind in the shares, most of the time of which they talked about their history. Charlotte and Mr. Collins were satisfied by the shares they got and Mr. Collins took the advantage to the full extent, talking about the Colonel's aunt gratefully.