Chapter 5: Secrets and Truths

Adele took to walking in the park, very different from Elizabeth's. Though they both loved each other dearly, walking was something they preferred to do separately. She cherished the light breeze and the bed of daisies. 

"Miss Bennet," she looked up surprised at the familiar voice and saw Mr Darcy making his way to her. A small smile graced his features as she beamed at him.

"Mr Darcy," she replied as they both fell into step beside each other. "I did not know you came this way."

"Oh yes," he replied with a light blush, "Yesterday, I met your sister during her walk and she told me that you walked here. I changed my path in the hope to meet you."

She blushed at the open admission. But then her lips pinched. Fitzwilliam thought of her as a friend. She rubbed her arm in comfort as they silently walked a few minutes.

"Tell me, Mr Darcy. Have you heard from your sister recently? How is she?"

His countenance brightened visibly at the name of his sister. "She is fine. She had recently taken up to horses."

She chuckled with him as he turned to her.

"Have you not heard from her?"

"Oh yes," she nodded with a smile, "I got a letter this morning. I would be reading it after my walk. She would be missing you dearly, wouldn't she?"

"I think so," his smile turned sad, "I miss her too, you know, Adele. But social obligations keep me away."

"I know she would understand that. She is smart and she knows that you love her. "

"How are your sisters?"

"Just as I left them," she replied, not wanting to converse about Jane's feelings again. However, maybe he understood her, for his smile dimmed.

They talked about frivolous things and gone memories for the rest of the walk but majorly stayed silent. Each is happy in the other's company.

They met many more times. Sometimes when Adele had just started her walk, sometimes when she turned around to return to the Parsonage. 

"Are you finding Hundsford pleasant so far? he asked one day.

"Yes," she replied, "Thank goodness, things don't reflect their owners in all cases."

He had to laugh at that. It was a phrase uttered many times during their shared stays a very long while ago. When his parents were there and she was just Addy, Lady Marshall's ward.

"I hope you are comfortable with the Collins?"

"I am, thank you," she smiled. "They are very warm hosts and being their mediator gives me a favourable advantage."

He nodded, "perhaps, the next time you visit Kent, you could stay in Rosings."

She looked at him covertly. She did not want to presume a double entendre in such a simple sentence. Perhaps he meant her as his guest or Lady Catherine hosting her as a friend. So she just smiled. He said no more.

She was engaged one day, as she walked, in re-perusing Jane's last letter, and dwelling on some passages which proved that Jane had not written inspirits, when, instead of being again surprised by Mr Darcy, she saw, on looking up, that Colonel Fitzwilliam was meeting her. Putting away the letter immediately, and forcing a smile, she said,— 

"I did not know before that you ever walked this way."

 "I have been making the tour of the park," he replied, "as I generally do every year, and intended to close it with a call at the Parsonage. Are you going much farther?"