Chapter 4: The Wishful Thinking

Adele sat alone the next morning, writing to Jane. Maria and Charlotte were gone to on business to the town and Elizabeth left her for accompanying Richard for a walk. She wasn't upset, but on the contrary, quite content with the solitude she found at last. At the very moment, she was startled by the ringing of the bell, the certain signal of a visitor. As she had heard no carriage, she thought it not unlikely to be Lady Catherine, and under that apprehension was putting away her half-finished letter that she might escape all impertinent questions, when the door opened, and, to her very great surprise, Mr. Darcy, and Mr. Darcy only, entered the room.

"Fitzwilliam," she exclaimed in partial surprise and happiness. She beamed so sweetly at him that he could not help but return the smile. When he noticed that she was alone, he was astonished and quickly apologised.

"I did not know that you were alone, I apologize for the abrupt call," he rushed. She just smiled.

They sat down and after the inquiries made by her after Rosings, they sat in companionable silence for a while. Well, it was comfortable for Adele but she surely noticed Mr. Darcy fidgeting and shifting on his place, however, did not question him.

"So how is Georgiana, Fitzy?"

"She is well, thank you."

She silently sighed, knowing well that a nervous Fitzwilliam was also known for short answers.

"And what about the Bingleys and Hursts?"

"They are good too."

"And that day, you told Elizabeth that you had no idea that Jane was in town when you were there."

"That was true, I did not have the pleasure of meeting Miss Jane."

A small pause followed.

"She went to live with Aunt and Uncle Gardiner to get over her feelings for Mr. Bingley." Adele confessed to him and looked down at her fingers in utter shame, "Poor Jane, I think she really did love him."

Darcy turned to look at her and she too looked at him, "I feel so ashamed that I am the reason for her sadness and heartbreak, Fitzwilliam. I felt so guilty whenever I looked at her, completely lost and heartbroken. Jane was never so, she never lost her smile over a man."

She sighed, "How about Mr. Bingley? Is he well?"

"I- I cannot say," he lied, knowing well that Charles was just as miserable. "However, I do not see the possibility of his returning. I would not be surprised if he were to give it up as soon as any eligible purchase offers."

Adele felt even worse, knowing she was the one to play the matchmaker between the two. She had given hopes to Jane and now it was all gone, Bingley never felt for Jane as she did for him. She said nothing more and that was noticed by Mr. Darcy and he took the hint to change the subject.

He took the hint, and soon began with, "This seems a very comfortable house. Lady Catherine, I believe, did a great deal to it when Mr. Collins first came to Hunsford."

"I believe she did-and I am sure she could not have bestowed her kindness on a more grateful object," she replied with a sly smile, passing a knowing look to Darcy.

"Mr. Collins appears to be very fortunate in his choice of a wife," Mr. Darcy commented.Adele laughed lightly, "Well, after all, I had played the matchmaker between them. Poor Mr. Collins was rejected by Elizabeth but I gave him hope regarding Charlotte, of course, I already knew that she was fond of him and here I am, visiting the new Mrs. Collins, who is no other than the one of the most sensible woman I have met and that would agree to marry Mr. Collins.