Part 12

To Do the Next Right Thing

Chapter 12

At some point in the night, BB-8 must have tossed a blanket over them, because when Rey finally woke, she was still holding onto Armitage, and his face still buried itself in her neck. Never did she think she'd fall asleep in the corridor of the Falcon, but she'd slept in far less comfortable spaces.

She could bet Armitage had, too.

Strange... she'd never fallen asleep with someone in her arms like this (and, again, she could bet the same could be said for Armitage), yet it felt... right. She could feel comfort from the soft tendrils of his hair, the gentle breathing against her neck, steady. With his brow not furrowed, and from this close, he looked... peaceful. Rey tried not to stir him, not wanting him to wake because she knew he'd probably jump back a few meters.

But she did stare. And she tilted her And she tilted her head to the side, thinking about everything.

His mother, alive. She told her story, and was more than happy to embrace Armitage with open arms... but with his sisters, that was delicate. They embraced him, sure, but would they if they ever found out the role he played in their eldest sister's death? Rey didn't know what they would do after that breakdown last night, and she was sure her eyes were just as red-rimmed and cried out.

Armitage stirred not too long after, nuzzling against her neck for a moment with a hum before he came to the staunch realization that he was clinging onto Rey, and had been the entire night.

He sat up a bit, panicked. "How long were we here?" he asked.

"All night, it seems," Rey replied, nodding. "How are you feeling?"

Shaking his head, Armitage replied, "I apologize for my behavior last night. That certainly wasn't warranted, and I'll never show weakness like that in your presence again."

"It's not weakness for you to react like that after being so overwhelmed," she assured. "When was the last time you cried?"

"I can't remember. Some time when I was a child—then someone slapped me and probably instilled that it was wrong to do so. But nothing has fazed me quite like this."

"Understandably so," she justified. "The whole evening, I could feel in the Force something was about to snap in you, that something was off. I was expecting it a lot sooner, honestly."

"Well, I suppose I'll learn to control it, if I'm to stay with them," he sighed.

"I'm not so sure about that." Rey shook her head. "I've been thinking about it. I definitely think we need to spend a few more days with them, see how you feel, but with all the secrets and what Ari has kept from Ry'lah and Zivan, it might not be... healthy for you, if you stayed there."

"I thought you wanted to get rid of me. This is the most humane way, you realize."

"But it doesn't feel right," said Rey. "Not in the Force, anyway. I'm going to trust that for now. We have to take the time to get to know them further, and gauge this whole thing."

"You just want to stay here a little longer because this family practically worships you," he teased.

"No." Rey scoffed, nudging his shoulder. Neither had still really left from their position, laying on the corridor. Their legs were still flush, even. "Nakadia is beautiful, sure, but I don't half ass a mission."

"Neither do I," he sighed. "I agree with you. We'll figure out their family life, and figure out if I'm a 'fit' for this lifestyle." He didn't sound particularly optimistic.