Part 11

To Do the Next Right Thing

Chapter 11

Ari ended for the day after her emotional reunion with her son, her employees assuring her they could take things from there. Of course, she made sure Rey had at least a bite of the cake before they left and Rey, who wasn't used to many sweets in her life, thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever tasted. Or maybe it was because she was almost as emotional as Ari.

Armitage had hardly said anything, still in shock from his mother not only recognizing him, but embracing him so easily like the years had never passed. But he played along with it all, allowing Ari to keep embracing him, to kiss his cheek (Rey wondered if he'd ever had so much affection in his life—she doubted it).

She embraced Rey, shaking and sobbing into her shoulder, thanking her for bringing her son back to her, to which Rey could only reply, "It was just the right thing to do."

Ari whisked them away on her transport once she had calmed down, yet Rey noticed she couldn't stop sneaking glances at Armitage. And Rey could really see all those similarities now that they were side by side. He may have inherited his father's hair, but everything else came from her.

"Do they... know about me?" he finally asked. "Your daughters?"

"They... they know you exist," Ari explained slowly. "My family knows we were separated, but I never disclosed Brendol's name."

"So I suppose they assume I was just some nameless soldier? A prototype Stormtrooper?"

"Your face was never that well known around the galaxy, except to those well integrated in the Resistance. Even I didn't know what you looked like for the longest time," Rey pointed out. "Not to mention that without the clean cut uniform, you do look rather different."

"Well, my face was never that appealing to look at in the first place."

Ari frowned. "Who told you that? Maratelle?"

"And Brendol," Armitage added. "They always said I had your face. I guess I never realized what that meant until now."

"Oh, my boy..." She reached over and stroked his cheek. "They tried to break you. How did you even escape?"

"He's the entire reason we even knew about Exegol the same moment the First Order did," said Rey. "He was our spy."

"You... spied for the Resistance?" Ari's eyes widened. "I never thought I'd see the day, especially given how scarily committed to the Empire Brendol was. I knew he'd be instilling those ideals in your head."

"But did you... want me?" Armitage asked lowly. It was the most vulnerable Rey had ever heard him.

"Of course I did, but I..." Rey heard Ari's voice crack again. "I-I'll explain when we get home."

Luckily, they soon pulled up to her home, a modest dwelling, surrounded by a sizable farm. A lot of Nakadia was like that: gentle, green hills, crops as far as they eye could see. Rey could see one living a rather peaceful life here.

She didn't know if she could picture Armitage here, though. Not even in Quarrow, which had been more concentrated with life.

Rey didn't know what she saw for him, in his future. But that's why they were here.

She could sense Armitage's unease, how quickly his heart was beating. When they exited the transport, she placed an assuring hand on his shoulder. "You all right, Tage?" she asked lowly.