....19

Chapter 19

"Welcome home, Cadie." Napaangat ako ng tingin nang tumigil ang kotse. I looked at the house in front of me. Not too big, not too small. It was just right for me, for us. 

It has the minimalist modern features that it is just pleasing to look at. 

I smiled, finally a home that makes me at ease. No worries, no fears. 

"You'll be okay." I heard Margaux commented as she goes down the car first. 

She grabbed her bag and I have nothing. I can't even process what just happened awhile ago and what is happening right now. 

Bumaba na ako ng kotse at niyakap ang sarili. Nakita ko si Thomas at mabilis siyang lumapit sa'kin, he gave me a jacket and immediately hugged me. 

"Are you okay?" He asked in a worried tone and I can't reply to him. 

What the hell is happening? 

"T-Thomas," I looked around and found manang giving kuya some things and noticed all of my paper works and passport. I looked back at Thomas, "What's happening?" 

He sighed and smiled at me, "We're going to get out of here, to set you free." 

I was about to say something when I felt a presence behind us. 

"Let's go inside, we have no time to waste." Kuya Kane said. 

I surveyed the airport and I can't help but to immediately think of the people I will leave behind. 

"T-Thomas! Sina Ashley, anong mangyayari sakanila?" I was about to turn my back when Thomas stopped me. 

He smiled sadly and shook his head. "They'll understand." 

Umiling ako at napatigil sa pagpasok sa airport, "Si Eugene, hindi ko pwede iwan si Eugene." He didn't answer me and tried to pull me inside. 

"Thomas, si Eugene. Hindi niya alam 'to. Si Eugene." He successfully pulled me inside the airport. 

Paano si Eugene? 

"Cadie, are you okay?" My mom held my hand and I nodded. 

Hindi ko napansin na nakapasok na pala kami ng bahay. All of our luggage are already inside, and I immediately got mine to help the helpers. 

"Halika, Cadie. Akyat tayo sa kwarto mo. I know you're 24 and some room doesn't excites you, but I know you will like this one." Nagpahila ako kay mommy paakyat habang nakasunod sa'min si Kuya. 

With some simple act that mom did, I remembered something...

"Ano ba kasi iyon, Eugene?" Napatigil siya at napaharap sa'kin. 

Sumimangot siya at inangat ang sleeve ng hoodie ko, "Why are you complaining? I should be the one complaining because you don't want me to hold your hand and now I'm holding this stupid sleeve of your hoodie!" Inirapan niya ako at ngumuso. 

I giggled and shook my head, "Such a baby." I whispered. 

He sighed, "Shush. I will show you something." Hinila na niya ang sleeve ng hoodie ko at nagpahila na lang ako paakyat. 

I saw some of my close schoolmates looking so confused at us but I just smiled and waved at them. 

Nakarating na kami sa rooftop kaya bigla akong kinabahan. 

"Eugene, we're not allowed here." I tried pulling my hoodie back but he didn't make me. 

Hinila niya pa ako hanggang sa makapunta kami sa gitna. Hindi ko napansin na may cloth na nakalatag don at may mga pagkain. 

"I told you not to complain. I just want to surprise you." He placed down a pillow and made me sit there. 

Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala pero ang mga luha sa mata ko ay ginugusto na mahulog. 

I heard him get something out of the box and I noticed it was a cake. He lit the candles up and smiled a little at me. 

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, dear Cadie! Happy birthday to you." Inilapit niya sa'kin ang cake. 

"Go on, make a wish!" I laughed a little and closed my eyes while clasping my hands together. 

I wish for freedom. For a peace heart and calm mind. 

I blew the candle and I heard him chuckled so I opened my eyes. 

"Happy birthday." He mumbled and I nodded before biting my lip. 

He smiled at me and wiped my fallen tears. So I laughed and backed away my face a little bit and just wiping my tears away. 

"This is not half of the surprise yet! I have a letter, I want to read for you!" He grabbed an folded paper at his pocket in his polo. He is extra talkative today and hyper.

He cleared his throat, 

"Dearest angel, 

When I first met you, I really didn't expect for us to be where we are right now. I just expected us to be schoolmates, just the teachers' representatives.

 At first glance, I see you as someone distant. Like you're scared of people near you or just simply by touching you. I never knew how I can judge someone so fast, I'm so sorry. 

But, when I got to know you, everything in my life seems to be lighter. You bring me to some thoughts and realizations that can bring peace in me. 

I never knew that you could have this great effect on me. You were just someone I used to talk with if the teachers wants us to talk about certain paper works and projects for the sake of our strand, but you are now someone who knows how to cheer me up, how to make me smile and laugh, how to make me talkative, how to make this hyper. I have never written someone a letter this long before." He chuckled that made me laugh. 

He continued, 

"I cherish you so much that I forgot what I was supposed to be, you made me soft. You baby me too much that I might get used to it that it scares me. It scares me that one day if this isn't our time yet, if something takes you away from me, I wouldn't know how to feel if somebody else will do the things you have done to me without thinking of you. You are someone I value a lot, Cadie. A lot. 

Anyway, I think this is getting long now. Happy Happy Birthday, my angel in disguise. Thank you for accepting me, without second thoughts, without regrets. 

We may have no label, because I know you are still not emotionally ready for that. But, I'm reassuring you that you have me, you own me. I value you. You have me, always!

Sincerely, 

Eugene Damien Fernando (your baby)" 

I didn't let him finish folding the paper as I immediately hugged him. 

He chuckled and hugged me back, "I value you." He kissed my forehead and I snuggled closer to him. 

I was cut off with reminiscing when mom opened the bedroom door, "Surprise!"