Part 16

“Where were you yesterday?” Harry asked at breakfast the next morning, interrupting my focus from the letter I’d just been reading.

I shrugged as I tucked the parchment out of sight “around, why?”

“You promised to help me finish Flitwick’s essay, I couldn’t find you.”

I stared at Harry; I hadn’t promised to help him with Flitwick’s essay because I knew that I’d be busy. “No…I didn’t.”

“Yes you did and you totally bailed on me!”

The poached eggs, on the plate before me, were looking less and less appealing by the minute. I pushed them away from me and stood up; I really wasn’t in the mood for a grilling over something I know I didn’t do. “No, I didn’t, Harry, and you know it. I’m not in the mood for this right now, I’ll see you later.”

I had no idea why this was bothering me more now than it did back before I knew Narcissa; possibly because I now had the chance to form a relationship with the woman who gave birth to me or, maybe, because I did know, deep down, that forming a true and honest relationship with a woman who refuses to tell her husband the truth about me was damn near impossible. So, last night, before settling down I drafted up a letter.

Narcissa

I’m not sure if writing a letter to you is better than planning a face to face meeting but there are a few things I’d like to know, if that’s ok.

I’ve gone a long time wondering who my mother is, wondering whether or not she was dead; dad never spoke about you and I never asked because I didn’t want to make him feel uncomfortable about not being able to give me everything I needed so, this being said, I guess I want to know what kind of relationship you want with me.

I’m guessing it won’t really be a functional one considering that if you want to see me you’ll have to lie to your husband or sneak away without telling him where you’re going.

I’m not entirely sure what I want from you but I know what I want and getting to know you better will help me to realise if I need you or if…I don’t know.

I’m sorry this is all muddled and thanks for reading this.

Lilliana.

I’d gotten up in the night and sent the letter, Narcissa had replied this morning.

Lilliana

I’m sorry, I don’t think that I can be the person you need me to be. I love you and if you need anything from me all you need to do is ask.

Things are very complicated and given the fact that, as you said, my husband doesn’t know about you which means that he doesn’t know about my infidelity any kind of relationship would be very risky for me.