Part 18

The next time I opened my eyes I was almost floored by the excruciating pain in my head; it was like nothing I’d ever experienced before. It made me internally scream.

“You’re awake” a voice, sounding very much like my father, stated; the sound reverberating around my head.

I groaned in reply, squeezing my eyes tightly shut.

“Lilliana, you are twelve years old and you have a hangover.” He sighed in annoyance as I heard him get up and move across the room. “As much as I want you to suffer as punishment for your stupidity, I don’t’ want you to suffer like this. Sit up and drink this.”

I warily opened my eyes to see a glass vial filled with purple liquid. Despite the agonizing pounding in my head, I sat up, took the vial from dad and downed it in one. It tasted like strawberries and the effects were almost instantaneous. “Thanks” I mumbled, passing the vial back to dad, without looking at him. I knew that I’d disappointed him and didn’t particularly want to look at his face. “What happened last night?” I asked, suddenly remembering that Harry went down the trap door.

“The stone is safe” dad replied “Harry’s in the hospital wing but he’ll be alright. Quirrell’s gone.”

“What?” I frowned, finally looking up at his face. His expression was a mixture of concern and annoyance “what do you mean he’s gone?”

“He’s dead” he stated “that’s all you need to know.”

“Can I…” I bit my lip unsure whether or not it was safe to ask if I could leave the dungeons “can I go and see him?”

“I think you ought to” dad told me “let me know if he doesn’t apologise to you.” It seems that dad stripped me down to my underwear, last night, when he put me to bed so I rushed to put it back on but, before I could leave, he stopped me with “when we get home, Lilliana, you’re grounded for the entire summer.”

I paused in the doorway for a moment as I said “I guess that’s fair” before hurrying from his rooms. Once I was back out in the corridor I started running and didn’t stop until I was at the hospital wing. I entered to find that Harry was awake and talking to Ron and Hermione; they all looked round at me as I walked toward them. I noticed that all three of my friends looked a little sheepish and I fought hard to keep the smug smile from my face.

“I was just filling Hermione and Ron in on what happened after they left me” Harry told me.

“Well, you’re going to have to re-tell the entire thing because I don’t know what happened at all.”

All three of them took turns in describing the events of last night; from putting fluffy to sleep, to the Devils Snare. To the enchanted key that Harry had to catch to unlock the door, to the enchanted chess set where Ron sacrificed himself so that they could win the game and Harry could go on. To the, already knocked out, troll, to the potion’s logic puzzle that Hermione worked out but couldn’t go on with Harry, to, finally, the mirror of Erised, Quirrell and Voldemort.

They all looked sheepish again but it was Harry who spoke up. “Lil, I’m really sorry that I didn’t believe you; it’s just that Snape looked so incredibly guilty.”