Goodbye

THREE MONTHS LATER . . .

Natsuki squeezed Yuri so tightly she was concerned the purple-haired girl wouldn't be able to breathe, but she did anyway. Sayori and Monika were doing the same, each one of them holding on to Yuri as tightly as they could. Natsuki felt tears streaming down her face, but she quickly brushed them away. If she broke down, the other girls would, too, and this was supposed to be happy.

After what felt like an eternity, they broke apart, and Natsuki saw that Yuri's eyes were misty as well. Yuri smiled, her mouth slightly quivering as she brushed away the tears just as Natsuki had. "I'm going to miss you all so much," she said quietly, clutching the handle of her carry-on suitcase.

Me too, Natsuki thought, but she didn't dare say it in the fear that she would break down crying. Instead she hugged Yuri again, trapping the taller girl in a warm embrace that she was happy to share. Sayori and Monika didn't join them this time.

"We'll let you two have a moment alone," Monika said softly. She led Sayori out the front door and onto the porch. Sayori threw a smile in Natsuki's direction before slamming the door shut behind her.

Yuri and Natsuki stayed in their embrace for a minute, just clutching each other and breathing softly. I don't want her to leave me. I don't want this to end.

And she told Yuri that. "I don't want you to go," she whispered, staring up at Yuri's face. She felt tears pooling in her eyes, but she didn't wipe them away.

Yuri forced a weak smile. "I know. I'm going to miss you, Nat."

"Not as much as I'll miss you, Yur-Yur."

Yuri burst into laughter, her eyes gleaming not with tears but with amusement. "Yur-Yur? We're going to have to come up with something better than that."

Natsuki's cheeks burned. "Hey," she snapped, placing her hands on her hips and raising her chin defiantly in the air. "It's not my fault not everybody can have a name as awesome as mine that comes with an equally awesome nickname."

"I suppose you're right," Yuri said, grinning.

"I just . . ." Natsuki sighed, looking down at the ground. "I hate that we're not going to the same college. We're going to be so far away from each other."

"I know," Yuri responded gently, closing her eyes. She opened them again, now smiling. "But we can text and FaceTime. Oh, and also, there's this marvelous invention called an airplane that allows you to travel long distances in a short amount of ti-"

Natsuki punched her. Well, gently, but enough to shut Yuri up.

"Ow!' Yuri wheezed, but she was giggling. "What was that for?"

"Oh, you know what it was for, and there's a lot more where that came from." Natsuki grinned evilly and started tickling Yuri.

"Hey! Stop!" Yuri shouted, now overtaken by a manic outburst of laughter. "Stop!!"

"Fine, fine." Natsuki stopped. The sadness that Yuri was leaving was starting to settle back in.

"Will you text me every day?"

"Of course."

Natsuki paused. "Will you really?"

"Have I ever lied to you?"

Natsuki smiled and shook her head. "But . . . I just . . . I don't know, Yuri. We'll be so far away. I don't . . ." She bit her lip, trying to keep the tears from flowing.

Yuri stepped back, a concerned expression on her face. "You just . . . what?"

"I . . . I don't want to tie you down."

Yuri blinked.

"You're so amazing, and I wouldn't give you up for the world, but . . . what if you meet someone better than me? What if you meet your soulmate? I shouldn't be able to keep you from that." She couldn't hold them back any longer. Tears sprung from her eyes, dripping down her cheeks. "I mean, I'm just a pink-haired, tsundere freak." Natsuki laughed through the tears, sniffing. "And you're just so smart, and beautiful, and sophisticated, and you deserve -- you deserve so much-"

"And so do you, Natsuki," Yuri said slowly, stepping forward to grab Natsuki's hands. "So do you. You're the most amazing person I've ever met."

Natsuki snorted, looking away. I doubt that.

"No, listen to me," Yuri said fiercely, "You are. You're kind and empathetic and passionate and creative, and you care for others so much. I mean, I hit you with a car, and you were worried about me! I've never met anyone like you, Natsuki, and I don't want to lose you. Ever."

Natsuki wiped away a few lone tears streaking down her face. "But-"

"No buts." Yuri kissed her, her lips soft on Natsuki's.

Natsuki pulled back, shaking her head wildly. "I -- I can't."

"Natsuki, what?"

"I can't!" Natsuki shouted. "I can't hold you back like this! No matter what you think, I could never deserve you! Nobody could ever deserve you, really, but there's someone out there who does more than me!"

"Natsuki, what . . . what are you saying?" Yuri whispered, what seemed like an ocean of tears streaming down her face.

"I'm saying we shouldn't be together. I'm sorry."

And with that, Natsuki raced out of the house.