9

The rest of walk passes in a tense silence. Ethan only acknowledges me when we finally reach his apartment and he holds the door open so I can pass.

I look around. I'm still not used to this place. It's five times bigger than my shoebox of an apartment, and nicely decorated, with large windows at one end which are overlooking the whole city. However, I take a step back as I notice someone is sitting on the sofa, flicking through the TV channels.

He stands up when he sees us, raising a hand to greet us. I take in his appearance. He's tall, maybe even taller than Ethan, and has pale skin and dark hair combed back neatly.

"Alex?" Ethan asks. "What are you doing here?"

The man walks over to us. His eyes flick between me and Ethan. Ethan protectively takes hold of my hand, stepping in front of me.

"Whose this?" Alex asks, peering at me over Ethan's shoulder.

"Ky," Ethan replies.

Alex smiles at me, "He's cute. Are you dating?"

Ethan nods.

"That's a shame," Alex says, "He's just my type."

"That's enough," Ethan says, "What do you want?"

Alex pretends to look hurt, "Is that any way to talk to your friend? I was just dropping off your spare keys."

"That's nice of you," Ethan said, sounding suspicious.

"Lucky I got to see your new boyfriend, Alex says, winking at me, "I'll be going now."

"Bye, Ky," He says as he passes me, and I instinctively lean away from him. Something about him gives me the creeps.

He leaves and the door slams behind him. Only then Ethan let's go of my hand. He sighs, running a hand through his hair.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"He's a friend of mine from work," Ethan says. "He's one of the club's patrons. I told him not to come over."

I decide not to ask anymore questions. Ethan has the same idea. He walks over to the marble kitchen counter and seems to be looking for something. Finally, he finds it. It's a key which he hands to me. I stare at it for a moment before my hand closes around it.

"I want you to treat this place like your own," Ethan says. "So I thought you should have your own keys."

"Thanks," I say quietly.

"What's wrong," Ethan says, "I thought you'd be happier about that."

I look down nervously.

"It's just...when are you going to tell me the truth about you and Ash."

"This again," Ethan sighs, "Drop it already. It's not important. I'm going to bed."

He storms off towards the bedroom, slamming the door behind him. I glance back down at the key and then back at Ethan and I sigh.

I hope I'll get some answers soon.