10

"I'm going for a drive," Ethan says.

I look over from the TV as he's buttoning up his shirt. Things between us are still tense after last night, and he smiles tightly at me.

"I'll be back soon," He says and then he's gone, the door slamming behind him.

I sigh and turn back to the TV. That's when I realise that my phone is ringing. I search through my pockets for it before I find it.

"Ash?" I ask, answering the call.

"Ky," He says, "Thank god you picked up. I need to talk to you. Meet me at the cafe in thirty minutes," he says.

"I'm not sure-"

"Thirty minutes," With that he hangs up.

I stand up pocketing my phone. If I want answers, I guess I have no choice.

...

The bell tinkles as I enter the cafe and I look for Ash. I immediately spot him. He's sitting by the window and waves at the when he sees me. I take the seat opposite him.

"So, what is this about I ask?"

"It's about Ethan," Ash replies, "You shouldn't be with him."

"What? Why?" I ask.

Ash sighs, running a hand through his blond hair. He looks stressed. He keeps glancing around, as if he's making sure no ones watching us.

"Ethan's dangerous and violent. I knew him from back when we were teenagers. He's a psychopath, Ky. You have to run."

I stare at him in disbelief, before I begin to get annoyed.

"He's not violent," I say, trying to keep my cool,  "I'm not breaking up with him."

"Please, Ky. You have to believe me-"

"No. Ethan's been nothing but kind to me." I say, going to stand up.

"Ky...wait-" Ash pleads but I shake my head.

"I'm done," I say, "I didn't come here for you to lie about him. I just wanted to find out why you don't like each other."

Ash grabs my wrist forcing me back into my chair. He leans over the table and I see a furious glint in his dark eyes, which makes me shrink back into my chair.

"He's the reason I have this," Ash says, pointing to the cut on his cheek. "After you two left, he came back and attacked me."

I swallow nervously. I remember Ethan saying that he had business to take care of, and the bruise on his chin.

"How do I know you didn't attack him?" I ask.

"Please, trust me." Ash says.

I almost want to...but then I think about Ethan and everything he's done for me.

"I can't," I say, standing up and yanking my wrist out of his grip, "Goodbye, Ash."

"Wait-" He calls after me, but I'm already gone.

...

I decide to go for a walk to clear my head and by the time I get back to Ethan's apartment, it's already dark outside.

"Ky!" Ethan calls, as I unlock the door.

I don't reply and instead head to the bedroom to get dressed for work. When I look behind me, he's leaning against the wall with his arms folded across his chest.

"Where have you been?" He asks suspiciously.

"Just...for a walk," I reply.

"Don't lie to me," Ethan says.

"I'm not," I say. It was half-truth after all.

Ethan rubs a hand over his eyes. I notice the muscle in his jaw twitch.

"Give me your phone," He says, "I want to see who you were with."

Reluctantly I pull my phone out of my pocket and unlock it, handing it to him. He scroll through my calls, until he stops. He stares at my phone then at me.

"You liar," He hisses, his eyes narrowed.

I swallow nervously. He must've see the call from Ash.

"Tell me what you were doing with him and why you have his number." Ethan says.

"We weren't doing anything," I say, scared of the look of fury on Ethan's face.

As he steps towards me I instinctively flinch. He takes my phone and throws it on the floor, grinding it underneath his heel.

"What was that for?" I yell at him, staring at the broken fragments of my phone on the floor.

"That's what you get for lying to me," Ethan said.

"Fine," I say, glaring at him, "He wanted to meet me to talk about you. He said you're violent."

My eyes wander back to the broken phone lying between us. Ash was right. I'm an idiot, I should've trusted him.

But Ethan just sighs. He bends down and scoops up the broken phone in his hands. All the anger seems to have gone, and he has a distant expression on his face.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have lost my temper with you," He says, "I'll buy you a new phone tomorrow."

I stare at him uneasily, not sure what to make of his sudden mood switch.

"I need to get ready for work," I mumble, avoiding eye contact with him.

I go to walk past him but he grabs me, pulling me into a hug.

"Ash was right," Ethan says, resting his chin on the top of my head, "I used to be violent when he knew me. But I've changed now. Please give me another chance."

"Okay," I say quietly and he tilts my chin up and kisses me, "I forgive you."