Chapter 8 - Power (+18)

Arms crossed under my head, I'm lying on my bed. I just came back from the Hospital Wing, I'm alone in the Slytherin dormitory. The conversation with Mrs Pomfrey plays on a loop like a broken record in my mind.

I have always hated the fact that I was born an omega. My mom... was overprotecting me. She still does, by the way. She never said it, but she thinks I'm weak. She thinks I can't make it, that I constantly need help.

My dad was seeing me as a disgrace. He was ashamed that his only son was an omega, his first reaction was to hide it. He was never satisfied, no matter how hard I tried. I've been a disappointment for my father and for the Malfoy family. Now he's gone, I don't even know if he's still alive.

The worst time of my life was during the summer before my sixth year... it was the time I've spent with my crazy, violent aunt. She kept repeating I was a disgrace, a shame for our family. She told me I wasn't worth living, but I wasn't worth being killed either.

(She was a lovely, charming woman, indeed...)

She never told He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named... but I guess he knew. I mean, he was able to read in other wizard's mind, I'm sure he knew it. He was constantly making innuendoes in front of my father, when there were people around. Every time he was looking down at me, I could feel how much he despised me.

They all treated me differently because I'm an omega. I tried very hard to be like an alpha... I tried not to be weak... I tried... not to be like they thought I was.

All my life has been about power. For my family, alphas have the power. When he discovered I was an omega, Potter gained power over me. He pinned me on the ground and subdued me.

I close my eyelids. All this story about Harry Potter is wrecking me. I have to mull this over. There's... a detail. A little something, I can't put my finger on it, but I have to... I have to reflect upon this. I have to look at the situation from a different perspective.

Calm down Draco. Keep a cool head.

I replay the dream I had two nights ago in my mind. I try to recall the details, not what he did to me, but how I felt. I remember a sentence that made me shiver and shocked me so much it woke me up.

Omegas belong to alphas... I frown. But what comes next? I need to know. What's the end of the sentence my subconscious whispered into my ear...?

The omega belongs to his alpha...

... and the alpha belongs to his omega.

I open my eyes. The answer is just in front of me, crystal clear.

I know exactly what I have to do now.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

"You're a mess, Potter."

Harry Potter darts his gaze on me. He stands up from his bed, I walk slowly towards him. He is locked in a cell, in the Dungeon.

"Malfoy?" (He blinks.) "What are you doing here?"

He looks comfy in there : he has a bed, a chair and a desk. Several books and parchments are spread negligently on a wooden desk. He has everything he needs, it seems –but still, he's caged, and that thought is unbearable.

I look at him. He has shadows under his eyes, he's pale and there is a small wrinkle between his brows because he's scowling.

"I am here to see you" I answer lightly.

"Excuse me?" he says in bewilderment. "I asked to be confined to avoid you and you come to see me? You must be nuts, that's the only logical explanation." (He shakes his head.) "Anyway, how did you manage to break the Concealment Charms?"