A Sense of Home 5-10 (WtNV/HP)

5.

Being a scientist meant observing, learning, understanding, and being impartial and without judgment in regards to what you are studying to prevent bias from contaminating the results.

Harry can barely understand what Carlos meant by that when he said it. But he did learn that being a scientist meant looking at Harry with curiosity and interest. They looked at Harry with eager scientific excitement when he told them of the odd things that happened around him, and asked questions that dug for more details because a scientist is a knowledge seeker.

They didn't look at Harry like he was a freak.

As Harry learned more about the town he was now living in, he also learned that it was full of things that his relatives would call freaks and unnatural.

And everyone accepts it as normal.

The scientists are often baffled, sometimes even afraid, but there is fondness in their smiles and exasperated comments of, "Night Vale." They looked at this impossible town and saw something beautiful and worth to be studied instead of avoided and feared.

And Harry, he wanted that.

So as Harry watched Nils coax out a sullen tarantula hiding inside their equipment, gently questioning its state and asking for information instead of just killing it, he made a promise to himself that never will anyone receive unreasonable judgment from him for who they are. Like a scientist.

Besides, Harry thought to himself as he turned back to the potato he was previously focusing on, maybe everyone had a weird side to them. Despite the Dursley's insistence of being absolutely normal, Nils and Carlos had made it clear that the way they treated Harry was not normal. And that the way they raised Dudley as a spoiled brat (the name had taken Harry aback, since all other adults would say "Dudley is a little angel!" while Harry is the one always at fault) was not normal, along with his weight not being good for his cousin's health.

"Still nothing?" Lusia asked, rolling her nonpen (which is actually a pen with the words NOT A PEN taped to the side) between her fingers with a slight frown.

"No..." Harry sheepishly said, being unable to truly focus on what he was trying to do.

She patted his head. "It's alright. We can try again later." The potato started shaking under the weight of Lusia's withering glare of disappointment as Harry made his way over to Nils and the talking tarantula. There's a small smile on his face.

The scientists can be a little weird too, but their flavor of weird he didn't mind.

6.

The process of taking in Harry legally seemed surprisingly simple. When he had asked Cecil about it while they were walking around Grove Park, hands holding each other's as Cecil listened on with interest, the radio host told him that he simply needed to go to City Hall, do the proper type of Adoption ritual for human-and-human adoption, sign a few papers, and then finally, pick up a New Citizen Welcome Packet and mandatory orange poncho.

The ritual itself doesn't demand blood, thankfully, just a strand of hair from the adopter and adoptee.

"So, who will adopt the child?" Cecil asked curiously, and Carlos shrugged.

"Well, either Nilanjana or me, but I'm leaning more on Nilanjana. We'll ask Harry as long as he understands that he won't upset the rest by choosing one."

Cecil blinked. "Huh, wow. That's...wow, that's less violent than I'm used to."

Carlos blinked back at him, bemused. "Why, what are you used to?"