Investigation

After preparing breakfast for the host, Malika walked past old Paul.

"Good morning, Mr. Guard!"

"You may call me Paul."

"I'm going to swim in the lake!. I'll be back at the end of the day."

Paul inscribed with chalk on a slate the hours of entry and exit, with the help of his sundial.

The doors being closed at night against wolves and predators who could ransack a sheepfold or a henhouse.

Malika hurried to get close to my den, and, no need to whistle, I knew she was there.

I had smoked meat and prepared hides for barter and to finance Malika a little.

But also, for the cheese...

"So, pupuce?"

"Stop making fun of my size!."

She climbed under my wing.

"I miss it already!"

I turned my head towards Ruby and we made a funny look at each other.

"Hey, you're not a chick that needs to be hatched anymore. You're all grown up now."

Resuming her position. "Come on, just a little longer, Dad."

I couldn't resist the attack of his eyes.

She took a little nap, but as sleep didn't come, for it was still morning, she laughed, hiding under my wing like a tent.

"I'm good with you... I don't know if I can ever go back to normal life..."

Ruby: "Of course you can, and sooner than you think."

Marika: "How do you know?"

Ruby: "Our instincts never fail us. You too will want a family and children. But we'll always be your family, no matter how far away or where we are. You are our treasure."

"You're sweet, Ruby..."

Then I kicked the ball into the lake. "Last one to splash is a chicken."

Malika grabbed Blue's neck and the four of us took a dive. A huge wave swept across the lake. Lessened, it arrived nevertheless until the village.

We had fun catching the ball but Malika sometimes clung to it and we had to be careful not to throw it with it.

She took the cup once or twice and when she reached the shore we had all disappeared, gone.

Coughing, she laughed her way to the bank on all fours, getting ready to shout at us.

We also used to play hide and seek.

We were still teenage wyverns, and playing was part of our habits, unlike the wild wyverns.

In fact, everything was good for a laugh.

This is what we were looking for: The carefree, light-hearted way of life, the basis for a simple, happy life.

But in front of Malika, it was Dirk.

"That was a close call!"

I saw you struggling with a wyvern who must have tried to fish you out, the other two having escaped... "

Malika: "but..."

Dirk: "It's dangerous! Next time... There won't be a next time!"

"Wait, the meat...!" Says Malika, heading for the smokehouse.

She placed the smoked pieces in the skins to protect them, tied the packet and loaded her horse, which Dirk had taken with him.

"All this meat and prepared... Now I understand why you're so familiar with me?.