five

Once Novalyn was ready to drive and was positive she wouldn't crash and kill them, she drove to a quiet diner near the field they spent the night on

When Tony walked inside the quiet diner, no on asked questions or spared him a second glance after the little jingle of the bells on the door.

"Hey there, sugar, back again?"

Novalyn smiled. "Hey, Ginny, back for your food."

"Get ya ass in a booth," said Ginny, throwing a rag over her shoulder as she jabbed her thumb at a booth.

Novalyn grinned at the middle aged woman before striding over to a booth. Tony followed after her, sitting across from her. She shook off her headband, then scratched her scalp before ruffling her hair.

"Squeezing my brain," she explained.

Ginny walked up to them, notepad open in one hand and a pen in other. "You got that after sex look to ya, girl."

Novalyn glanced at Tony, then wrinkled up her nose. "Shucks, Gin, can't a gal and a boy just be friends nowadays?"

Ginny shrugged. "Whatever you say, sugar. What's ya pick today?"

"Same ol' five." Novalyn looked at Tony. "Order five is waffles, bacon, and mashed potatoes."

"I'll have the same," said Tony.

Ginny hummed, closing the notepad without writing in it. "After sex look. I'm tellin' ya," she retorted before walking away.

Novalyn shook her head with a smile on her face before turning her attention to Tony. "Sorry about her. She's fun though, isn't she?"

"You're from the country?" he questioned.

She smiled. "Born and raised until my parents split when I was seven. Dad went to the city and my mom stayed here. I switched between the two, but I went to school in the city since my mom believed I would find a better education there."

Tony nodded. "Yeah, okay, but now say that in an accent."

She laughed. "Born n raised 'til my parents split when I was seven. Pa went to the city and my ma stayed here. I switched 'tween the two, but went to school in the city since my ma thought there was better education there. Tony, my accent ain't that strong."

"Call me some weird endearing term," he demanded.

She gave him an amused, lopsided grin. "Honey-pie, ya a nut case."

"I'll take it as a compliment," he retorted. "Never met someone so...country before."

"I would hardly call myself country. I drive an AMC Eagle, go to roller rinks, and wear rainbow jumpsuits."

"You have more than one?"

"Hey, rainbow comes in varieties," she retorted.

"It shouldn't."

She raised an eyebrow. "Well, you, pretty boy, are wearing a Rolex Daytona. If you say I'm country, I'm saying you're a city boy."

"Born and raised," he answered.

"Unfortunate. So many people don't realize how beautiful the countryside is."

He looked at her as she grabbed a napkin and spread it out on her lap. "Yeah, I think I know what you mean."

"