nine

Tony listened to his mother and invited Novalyn to his birthday party - which was really more of his father's business banquet

She warned him beforehand that she didn't have anything fancy she could wear since her closet mainly situated of jumpsuits, t-shirts, and shorts.

He told her not to worry about it because he had an assortment she could pick from, but that only made her worry more since she didn't agree with his fashion sense.

She showed up to his mansion in her AMC Eagle that didn't fit in with the fancy cars his family - technically, their butler - drove.

Ringing the doorbell through the intercom, the gates slid open without a word. She stepped through and walked up to the steps, where Tony opened the door before she even got the chance to knock.

"Slowpoke," he said.

"I can just leave."

He grabbed her wrist and dragged her inside. "You're not wearing rainbow today."

"I considered it, but I thought I'd be nice today and wear one color," she teased.

He shook his head, but grinned. "Come on, my mom wants to meet you."

"A little too soon, don't you think?"

He rolled his eyes. "Come on."

She followed after him, looking around the fancy mansion. Her father was a businessman, but was not rich like Tony's father, so it was all new to her.

He led her into a parlor room, stopping by the threshold until she caught up to him.

"Mom, this is Novalyn."

Maria stepped forward, wrapping her arms gently around Novalyn's body before stepping back. "It's nice to finally meet you."

"You too, Mrs. Stark. Novalyn Speegle."

"Not Beagle?" questioned Maria.

Novalyn glared at Tony. "Your son has a wicked sense of humor."

Tony only shrugged. "Must have accidentally said the wrong last name."

"Uh-huh."

"We'll see you tonight for the party, Mom. Novalyn still has to pick out a dress," interrupted Tony.

"Of course. I'll see you tonight," said Maria.

Novalyn smiled at her before getting dragged away by Tony. Maria stared after them before turning to Jarvis who stood on the other side of the room.

"She's pretty."

Jarvis nodded. "Certainly."

"Not like the models he's been with."

"Quite."

Maria and Jarvis shared a look with each other.