seven

That same day Novalyn dropped him off, Tony messaged her to go out that night

That same day Novalyn dropped him off, Tony messaged her to go out that night. She messaged back immediately and picked him up from his mansion.

The two went to an arcade, and Tony really wasn't surprised when he finally noticed her new outfit was a different rainbow jumpsuit and a red headband.

"Told you rainbow came in varieties," she said, winking as she leaned against the claw machine.

Tony scoffed, inserting tokens into the machine, eyes and hands focused on the game. "Bullshit."

"So. Tony Stank, huh?"

Because of the clear mispronunciation of his last name that he never told her about, he dropped the stuffed animal he picked up with the claw.

"Thought we didn't do last names," he dryly said.

She noticed how he said we and not you. "Normally, I do, but normally, I don't pick up rich strays. Curiosity got the best of me."

He glanced at her before inserting more tokens into the machine. "I'll forgive you if you talk in that accent for the rest of the night."

"Ya got ya-self a deal, city boy."

He grinned, head turning back to the game in front of him. She smiled at how happy he was before pushing herself off the machine and bumping her hip against his.

The rest of the night was spent at the arcade with a bit of alcohol here and there since it always made the night more fun.

They walked slowly back to her car in order to spend more time with each other under the soft, cool breeze. Novalyn was holding a stuffed beagle Tony won for her in the claw machine that took more money than the beagle was actually worth.

"Speegle. My last name is Speegle."

"Speegle?" Tony questioned.

"It's why I don't tell people my last name. What kind of name is Speegle? It rhymes with beagle."

Tony glanced down at the stuffed beagle in her hands.

"I saw that," she said.

"Hey, pretty girl, your ass looks good!"

Novalyn sighed. She was used to the catcalling and how drunk men operated, but it never failed to make her feel unsafe.

Tony turned around, walking toward the man. Novalyn grabbed his arm and shook her head in protest.

"He's not worth it. He's drunk," she said.

"I don't care," Tony retorted. "Don't talk about her that!"

"What're you gettin' defensive 'bout? She's just some chick," the man defended.

"Actually, she's a gal. It's more polite." Then, Tony punched him in the face.

"Oh, my God! Tony! Tony, stop, let's go!"

Finally noticing the flashes of cameras, he allowed Novalyn to drag him away and toward her car.

"You got issues, Stank."

"You too, Beagle."