Chapter 4~W... Where Are You?

~3rd Person PoV~
   The overnight stay was uneventful other then his eyelids fluttering around 4:30 AM. Sonic scooped Tails up gently so as not to cause him pain and walked out. A pack on his back held a fold-up crutch, pain meds, fresh bandages, and instructions from the doctor. Knuckles carried the folded-up wheelchair they also loaned.

   When they got home, Sonic set Tails down on their recliner, placed a pillow behind his head and under his broken leg and threw a soft blanket over him. Knuckles told Tails to get well soon and left to find his Emerald.

   Sonic unpacked the meds & bandages, putting them in their bathroom. He put the crutch by the recliner and the wheelchair went by the door. He then sat down and read the recommendations.

   'Good thing I know how to make Jello.' Sonic thought then headed for the kitchen to make orange-flavored jello for his bro.

~Tails' PoV~
   Darkness.

   That's all I knew. I heard muffled voices, but that's it. Soon, tremendous pain shot through my body. The plane crash! Did Sonic find me? No. 'Course he didn't; he doesn't care anymore.

   I let out a soft groan and my ear twitches as I hear very rapid footsteps. I soon feel a gentle squeeze on one of my hands. Then, I hear his voice. I crack open my eyes.

   "Tails? How ya feelin' lil' buddy?" He asked, but I'm confused. My eyes are open, but I can't see a thing. Maybe it's nighttime and the lights are off.

   "S... Sonic? W... W... Where are y... you? Are the lights off?" I asked, feeling lightheaded and dizzy. My heart's crushed as soon as I hear his answer.

   "Tails? What're you talking about? It's broad daylight outside. You've been in a coma since Monday night and it's now lunchtime on Wednesday." He says. I shift uncomfortably and try to do what I always do when I'm puzzled, twine my tails together. I begin crying.

   "Sonic?" I murmur, scared. "I can't feel one of my tails..." Suddenly, I feel myself drawn into his arms and warm, salty splashes on my back makes me realize he's crying.

   "It's all my fault. I say something I didn't mean and now my little bro is blind, has a concussion, broken bones, and..." He sobs, breaking off into unintelligible blubbering.

   "Sonic, if we're gonna play that game; then it's mine. It's my fault for flying blindly into a storm(pun not intended)." I say, returning his hug when I realize something. "Sonic? How bad is it?"

   "They had no choice Tails." He said, and I could feel him slowly running his hand down my arm untill I don't feel his touch anymore. "The bones in your arm & tail were too badly shattered to save."

   At this news, I feel warm tears on my own cheeks. I feel him embrace me once again as we both sit there, crying. I would never fly either the other planes or with my tails. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to do what makes me happy anymore.