Case 1.15 - Climax

"This really sucks," Nora grumbled from a distance as she turned around and faced me.

I grit my teeth as I endured the pain, waiting for it to die down.

For now, all I could do was watch.

I watched as Nora unsheathed her sword out of nowhere and made it dance; she swung her sword around in the air as she walked towards me, effortlessly slicing through the rogue ghosts that were unfortunate enough to stand in her way.

Despite having her view fixed on me, she was able to hit her targets with such accuracy. Her sword was so sharp that one won't even be able to see it press against their skin as it made contact — it would cut right through as if she was swinging a knife in water.

For her, it was all child's play.

She didn't care whether they noticed our presence or not — anything in her way would get sliced mercilessly until she eventually got close to me.

If she brought a knife to a gunfight, she'd still reign victorious.

"I think I made a bad first impression straight off the bat," she said in a dissatisfied tone as she sat beside me and leaned back against a tree, gazing off to the distance. "Well, it doesn't really matter that much; first impressions don't last that long anyway," she added, "it would be pretty idiotic to believe otherwise."

"First impression? What's that supposed to mean?" I coughed, trying to get up. I underestimated the hit I took from Cassia and the impact when I fell off the tree. "We've been together for years now; a decade to be exact."

"We've been together for more than that, you know," she chuckled, "in case you haven't pieced that one out yet."

That...that's true.

If I manage to take a picture of someone or something related to the memories I've lost, I could regain those memories back. I've done that with Cassia and recently with Sonia.

If only Nora weren't a vampire.

Though, I am rather interested to know how my past managed to be with someone like her.

"Well, if that's directed at me, I did see you as a good person back then." I finally responded.

"Well, I don't see why that has to end." she gently caressed her fingers through my hair, removing bits of leaves and wood here and there. "But, no," she clarified, "it's not directed to you..."

She could've used this opportunity to strike Cassia while I was down. After seeing Cassia like that, I didn't know what to do; I may have reached her first, but the corruption has already started.

But if Nora's not yet doing anything, meaning there's still a chance for me to stop Cassia.

Nora underestimated me — while we were having this petty conversation, I was regaining my strength. The few bruises and light scratches that I got earlier are now nowhere to be seen.

She stood up and sauntered towards Cassia. Her lack of emotions left her invisible to the rogue ghosts as she let her sword swing freely. Meanwhile, the gradual increase of my heartbeat alerted more and more of rogue ghosts; a few turned their heads to where I was. They wandered around me, like someone trying to find the light switch in a dark room.

"A rogue ghost that could distort space with a flick of a finger is a dangerous entity in and of itself." Nora declared, wiping her sword with a hankey that she got from her pocket, "I guess talking her out would be senseless at this point — your anger towards me won't matter, Hans." she added in a serious tone, "If words do nothing, actions will."