Case 1.4 - Beautiful Illusion

Somewhere between this world lies a gray area of unexplored anomalous entities that exist within. This world follows a strict set of rules — some serve as the very foundation of existence. However, these anomalous entities disregard the established norms of the world. There are some recorded entities that exist and thrive without the need to follow such foundations for life, some even contradict it.

Right now...

I was handling two anomalies — a girl who shouldn't exist, standing before me, and a necklace capable of shifting space on her command.

After witnessing the existence of anomalies, that has become a norm for me.

I still couldn't explain how it works or how she manipulates it but wallowing in unreality does help me grasp its existence a bit more. After all, anything can happen, regardless of our capabilities to reason.

Though, aside from that...

The ghost standing in front of me — the Sheltered Princess, claimed that I know her...

And much more than that, apparently.

Her claim contradicted mine.

I mean, all this time, I saw myself as a regular high school student who, thanks to Nora, has experience with various anomalous cases. Though, by experience, I meant standing from a safe distance as I watched Nora deal with them.

Now, I'm handling an anomalous case firsthand — my first case.

I may lack training and all, but this wasn't the first time I've dived into something headfirst without prior preparation.

But still...

Have I really forgotten who I really was?

If what Cassia said was true, I could learn much more than what I currently know now.

How much have I forgotten?

"It would seem that the king in red has lost his crown," Cassia's teasing voice pulled me back to reality while I was talking to myself.

"Talking in riddles now, are we?" I retorted in a slightly irritated tone.

"I jest," Cassia replied in a mocking tone, "you were not a king during the times we have spent together. You were a prince! S-sort of. "

That really doesn't help the situation at all.

We made our way further down the ramps as the chilly breeze accompanied along, getting colder and colder with each step as the heavy rain fell outside with no end in sight.

"What did you mean when you said you were the one who gave me this?" I probed, searching for my Polaroid as I pulled it out of my bag. If she does know about this camera, maybe I could make her tell me more about it without making me look like I'm begging here. "This may be an anomaly, but do you even know it's anomalous features?"

"What is this?" Cassia smirked, still keeping up her mocking tone, "is Hans finding more and more reasons to spend a bit more time with me?"

"I—" I started, but paused.

Well, she's not wrong.

Cassia casually reached for my Polaroid and grabbed it while we were walking. "It means what it means," she softly chuckled, "I was the one who gave it to you before, and there is nothing really more to it."

"Is that so..." I drawled.

"With that other question," she stated, drawing my camera close to her face as she pretended to take some photos, "as siblings, if I am capable of manipulating space to some extent, then you are capable of manipulating time — to some extent."