13

Work went by slowly for the Brooklnites, who were all waiting to head to the rally at Medda's theater. Stella dragged herself around the large city, holding her papers up and yelling out random headlines to grab the attention from citizens who walked past her.

"Protest in Queen's!" She called out, her green eyes looking around before a lady walked up to her. The lady was well dressed and gave Stella a warm smile before setting a quarter in the palm of her hand and grabbing a paper to read.

Stella put the money in her front pocket as she counted how many papers she she left. Five. Looking up at the sky, her heart skipped a beat as she saw the sun setting. She'd be able to see Jack later, and hopefully talk to him about what had happens yesterday. Knowing they needed to leave soon, Stella stuffed the newspapers into a nearby trash before picking up the pace and running towards the lodge.

"Ah, there you is." Spot said, watching his younger sister walk in.

Stella smiled as she pushed past the boy's to stand by her brother. Spot pointed from one boy to the next, picking out who would come to the rally with them.

"Shouldn't dey all just come?" Stella suggested, seeing the ones who really wanted to come weren't being picked.

Spot turned to look at Stella, thinking for a moment before nodding. "Alright, you'se all get ter come it yea want." Spot said, looking around at all the newsboys.

They all cheered and playfully punched one another as Spot and Stella pushed past them to get to the door.

"C'mon slow pokes." Stella calls out, leaving the lodge house and following her brother.

Entering Manhattan, Stella led them to the theater, already hearing the loud chatter from the other newsboys. Looking at Spot, she gave him a small smile before walking in.

"Newsies need our help today"
"Tell em Brooklyn's on their way"
"We're from Brooklyn, we are newsies, we are Brooklyn....newsies!"

The Brooklyn newsies started singing as they entered, letting the others know they had arrived.

"Just got word that our buddies is hurtin'
Facin' total disaster for certain
That's our cue boys it's time ter go slummin'
Hey, Manhattan the calvary's comin'"

"Have no fear!"
"Brooklyn's here!"
"We'll get you some payback with some..."

"Payback!!"
"We're the boys from the beaches of Brighton
Prospect park
And the Navy Yard Pier.
Strikes ain't fun but they sure is excitin'
Loud and clear!
Brooklyn's here!"

Spot took his hat off, placing it at his chest as he looked off into the distance. "Borough what gave me birth." He sang.

Stella too took her head off as well and sang the next couple of lines. "Friendliest place on earth. Pay us a visit and see what we means."

"And when ya do."
"When ya do."
"When ya do."
"We'll kick ya halfway to Queens!"

Soon after all the Newsies started singing with them, Spot and Stella set their hats back on their head as it happened.

"Now them soakers is in for a soakin'
What a sad way to end a career
They's a joke but if they thinks we're jokin'"

"Loud and clear.."

"Manhattan's here!" Manhattan sang, holding up their sign.

"Flushing's here!"

"Richmonds here!"

"Woodsides here!"

"So's da Bronx!"

All the newsies turned their heads towards the Bronx Newsies, blowing raspberries at them. Their attention was soon brought back to the Brooklyn newsies who sang, walking into the middle.

"Brooklyn's here!
Loud and clear,
We is here!"

Once all the singing dies down, Spot and Stella walk over to Davey, spitting into their palms and shaking hands with them. Hearing footsteps, Stella turns her head, looking over to see Medda Larkin walk over, a welcoming smile forming on her face.

"Welcome Newsies of New York City! Welcome to my theater, and your revaluation!" She said, pointing at all the Newsies as they all started cheering again.

Davey clapped his hands, looking around before speaking. "Let's hear it for Spot and Stella Conlon and Brooklyn!"

The newsies continued cheering, clapping their hands loudly as well. Some whistles could be heard over the loud cheers.

"Newsies united!" Spot said, stepping forward as he raised his hands into the air. He let the cheering continue before silencing them with a single movement with his hands.

Stepping beside her brother, Stella took a deep breath. "Let's see what Pulitzer has to say to you know." Stella said, looking around.

"Hey Davey, where's Jack?" Finch asked from the Manhattan newsies.

Stella looked around, not seeing the leader. She was a bit disappointed since he'd agreed with the whole rally or it wouldn't really have been a thing. The other newsies started whispering to one another, asking about Jack.

Medda walked over to Davey, shaking her head as she set her hand on his shoulder. "Sorry kid. No sign of him yet. Looks like you're doing a solo." She said to him, before letting her hand fall to her side and walking off.

Davey opened his mouth, speechless as fear rose up inside him. A solo? For all these newsies who wanted to see Jack speak? He took a deep breath as he could hear everyone chanting for Jack, each chant getting louder and louder.

"Newsies of New York!" Davey yelled, making his way to the middle. He waited until the voices died down and it was silent. "Look at what we've done!" Davey continued, not feeling as nervous or afraid as he let the words fall out of his mouth. "We've got newsies from every pape and every neighborhood here tonight. Tonight, you're making history."

The newsies looked at one another, cracking a smile as they started cheering again. Stella nodded, clapping her hands. He really was smart.

"Tonight we declare we're just a part of the newspaper as any reporter and editor." The cheers became louder as Davey continued to speak, which gave him more courage. "We're done being treated like kids. From now on they will treat us as equals!" Davey finished, loud and clear so they could all hear his statement.

Jack had been watching Davey from the shadows, impressed with his speech. He sighed, knowing what he had to do. He didn't want to do it, but what he was about to say was partly true. Taking a deep breath, he walked out and into the clearing.

"You wanna be talked to like an adult? Start actin' like one." Jack said, walking over to Davey. "Don't just, run your mouth. Make some sense."

"And here's Jack!" Davey chuckled, smiling as he stepped back, giving Jack some room for him to speak.

WORD COUNT
1129