Chapter Four - Home Sweet Home (TBWL)

Chapter Four: Home Sweet Home

The Ministry car pulled up to the curb in front of #4 Privet Drive. It sat at the curb, idling for a long moment. No one emerged from the rear of the car. Had anyone been looking, they might have wondered if it was someone of great importance that rode in the rear seat of the limousine.

Tonks and Lupin got out of the front seat in their Muggle tuxedos. Tonks immediately went to the trunk and pulled her wand out discretely. Her hand movements were unnoticeable as she transfigured the luggage, one piece at a time. After emerging from the front of the car, Lupin opened the rear door and offered his hand to Ginny to help her out. After exiting the car, Tonks handed her a black beaded handbag and then returned to the trunk. Remus then offered his hand to Hermione. She allowed herself to be helped from the back seat of the car and accepted the cream-colored leather handbag that Tonks offered her. Remus and Tonks both stepped aside and headed to the trunk of the car as Ron and Harry exited from the rear door. Tonks handed Ron his black leather briefcase, while Professor Lupin handed Harry his black leather knapsack.

The four teenagers and their escorts proceeded up the walkway to the front door. Harry was prepared for a confrontational Uncle Vernon. He knew that no matter how upset Uncle Vernon was, it was nothing compared to Mrs. Weasley's wrath. Tonks, Professor Lupin and Professor McGonagall had all gone to talk to her the day of Dumbledore's funeral.

"Molly, the children need to be together. Ron and Ginny must satisfy their need to protect Harry. He is Ron's best friend and Ginny's boyfriend,¨ Minerva said as she tried to explain her acceptance of the situation.

"Absolutely not,¨ Molly said firmly, "I will not be persuaded that easily to let my precious ones leave my side and be put into the direct path of danger."

"Molly, they have chosen a path that many of us cannot understand,¨ he said confidently. "We might not understand it, but it is their choice to make. We are facing the possible end of our world. The path that they have chosen is dark and dangerous, but they are brave."

"You don't understand what it feels like,¨ Molly wailed at Remus. "I will not allow them to traipse off on some foolhardy mission that they won't return from.¨ She was unflinching in her demand that her children be returned to her immediately.

In the end, after much arguing, it was Tonks who put it into perspective for Molly. She explained it in a way that Molly couldn't fight. There was no argument that she could make that would justify keeping her children, Molly thought.

"Molly. Listen to me carefully. Harry needs them. He needs all of them. They are his life and his love. Without them he cannot defeat Voldemort.¨ Tonks was on a roll as she continued to grow louder. "HE WILL NOT DEFEAT HIM,¨ she shouted. There is nothing that he wouldn't do for them,¨ she continued in a softer voice. "Everything that he is undertaking is to provide a world in which they can live happily and safely. A world that we all can live in without fearing for our lives, without fearing for our children's lives.¨

Molly was silent as she pondered what Tonks had told her. She looked at Tonks and remembered the despair she felt when Remus has refused her. Tonks wanted a world in which their love could bloom. She wanted a world in which any love could bloom. With Voldemort still alive, that was not possible. With Voldemort still alive, no one was safe. With tears in her eyes, she nodded her assent.

"Take them where you will,¨ she told them, "just return them to me safely.¨

"They will be returning to The Burrow after two weeks at Privet Drive. They will be back in time for the wedding. They are looking forward to it, I believe we all are.¨ Minerva hugged Molly stiffly and prepared to take her leave, Tonks also stepped back.