Part 11

After five hours of non-stop hiking in the forest and the sun was already beginning to set, and just a few hours later, the forest was covered with darkness. "It's getting pretty dark. I think we should just set up camp here now. We'll get there in the morning." Trace said.

I glanced around and marked a clearing that followed a stream that was heading towards our objective. "Here, this looks like a clearin'. As long as we follow the stream, there won't be a chance for us goin' dark." I announced.

"Flora, could you set up the lantern?" Trace requested.

Flora didn't answer but, she did look distressed. I have no idea why, but I continued to scan the surrounding area, with my carbine at the low-ready position.

"I'll get some wood for the fire." Keith declared.

"Oh, could you also get some freshwater? I think we're out." Trace stated and Keith wandered off.

"Trace... I think we shouldn't camp out here." Flora informed.

"Huh? What's wrong, Flora?" Trace sought her.

"Keidran have been here... I can smell their scent." She returned.

This isn't good. We're out in the middle of nowhere, near unfriendly territory, in the dark and we got possible hostiles near us. "She's right. We won't make it an hour if there's a possibility of other Keidran in the area." I said.

"Trust me, it'll be fine. We've been through a lot in the past few days. Let's just get some rest." Trace calmly stated and I sighed.

"Yeah... I suppose. The scent was kinda old, anyway. I'm sure we'll be fine for one night... hm? Trace where did you get this book from?" Flora asked.

I turned around and saw she was clutching a book with the Templar emblem on it and with the words "Trace Legacy" printed in cursive on top of the book. "Hey, wait! I can explain that..." Trace stated.

"What does it say?" Flora supplicated.

"Huh... you don't...?"

"I... can't read. I was never taught as a slave."

"Jesus, that's tough, damn..." I noticed.

"Well um... don't worry about this old thing. It's just an old storybook." Trace described.

"Oh, it is?" Flora asked.

"Yes, I found it at the house. Nothing you'd be interested in, I'm sure. Well, I'd better continue to set up camp."

"I'll set up security." I declared.

"Okay... do you mind if I go for a walk?" Flora requested.

"Flora, you said it yourself. It's dangerous out there." Trace advised.

"Aww... Don't worry about me, this is my territory."

"I guess if you really want to... but be careful. I'll drag you back by the tail if you get me worried about you."

I jeered unostentatiously and with that, she walked off. I examined the surrounding area and found nothing just a sea of trees covered in the vastness of darkness.

A couple of minutes later, Trace rested in-front of the campfire, learning his book while some kind of blue light glowed around his hands. I sat at the opposite end, checking on my carbine. I suddenly detected footsteps to my right and when I shifted my head to the sound, I saw Flora returning. "You're back early," I stated.

"Yeah... I got tired. I saw some blue light while I was coming back... Was that you, Trace?" She interrogated.

Uh, blue light? No... I... um... had no idea." Trace muttered.