Part 17

I was still disheartened at the fact that Laura had died. I kept thinking we still had a chance to save her, but we were too late. I don't know if Keith could take much more of it. He's been through so much, and yet hasn't reached his breaking point.

Trace also seemed saddened by Laura's death, as he was silent through the journey back to the harbor. Soon, we arrived there and saw Eric's ship next to the wooden docks.

As we walked on the docks, towards the plank that led to the ship's deck, Trace sighed and kept his hands in his pocket, still disturbed by Laura's death. I stayed behind him, while keeping my carbine holstered. Suddenly, I heard Flora screaming out Trace's name and a loud THUD behind me.

I turned around and saw Flora crashed on top of Trace. "You're alive! You're alive! I knew those guys were hiding you somewhere! I'm so happy you're okay!" Flora cheered.

"Yeah, I... erg... was okay. I'm glad to see you too, Flora." Trace said.

I just decided to let those two have their moment and didn't disturb them. Flora suddenly started to cry out of joy and relief as tears fell from her cheek onto Trace.

"Huh? Flora, what's wrong?" Trace asked.

"Oh, nothing, nothing... I don't know why I'm crying, I'm just... so relieved." She replied and wiped off a tear. "I knew you'd be alright, but... a part of me..." He said and brought Trace into a tight hug. "Ah, Trace! I was so afraid I'd never see you again! I couldn't stand thinking our last time together would be during an argument!"

"Eeergh! Flora, Flora! Claws... my back!" Trace shrieked.

"Oh, sorry!" Flora apologized and released him from the hug.

"I-it's okay, Flora. Look, I'm fine, see?" He rest-assured and lifted his hands. I was shocked when I saw his left hand to find it all black and with fingers shaped like claws.

"Kyaaaah!" Flora shrieked.

"Holy fuck, Trace. What fuckin' happened to your hand?" I asked.

"Oh, right... My hand... I forgot. Maybe we should get back to the ship and talk."

"Damn right we should."

A couple of minutes later and we were on the ship again, and in a cabin. Trace explained his hand was the result of the corruption of black magic, but he rest assures it won't spread. I had asked Kat to bring me a piece of a glove and was waiting for her but soon, she arrived, wearing just a green shirt and held a black glove. "I found gloves for you, Mr. Marcus, as you asked. I'm glad you've returned to us otherwise unharmed." She said and handed me the gloves.

"Thanks, Kat. And again, just Marcus is fine." I said.

"Heehee! Sure thing, Mr. Marcus!" She giggled and walked off.

I chuckled lightly and entered Trace's cabin. Flora and Trace had been sitting on the bed and I approached Trace to give him the glove. "Here."

"Thanks, Marcus." Trace said and wore the glove to cover his left hand.

"Trace, are you sure you're alright?" Flora asked.

"Don't worry, Flora. I'm fine! I'm... sure it's nothing a little healing can't fix, in time..."

"ERIC!" Kat yelled loudly. "I see Eric! He's coming! Oh, and Natani too. Eric! Eric, can you see me?!"

We three walked out of Trace's cabin and got on the deck of the ship, with my carbine hanging off to my side. Once I got to the deck, I saw Eric in purple bathrobes hugging Kat while Natani leaned on the edge while looking onto the distance.