The end.

The afternoon was blustery and cold, the sun barely peeking out from behind the clouds. The city square however,  was alive with activity. Being only weeks from Yule, many people were shopping and preparing  for the holiday season. Decorations adourned the lamp posts and shops along the main streets. Music filled the air as did the laughter and chatter from the hundreds gathered in the square. But the lone figure didnt hear anything as he shuffled through the streets, dodging the carollers and the over enthusiastic sales people. He couldn't hear, he couldnt think. He had a task. Failure wasnt an option. He slid his hand into the pocket of his long coat and fingered the small round marble. Something so unassuming,yet so very important. No, he couldnt stop now. He made his way into the very centre of the square and suveyed his surrounds. He guessed that there were maybe 300 people in the square, most sitting at cafes that surrounded the elaborate golden fountain which was the pride and joy of the city. They were abominations, cruel evil creatures who deserved this. This would end the pain, this would stop the war.

The man slid his hand into his pocket again, this time bringing the marble with him. He rolled it around in his hand,realising he was shaking. Slowly, he made his way over to the fountain stopping next to 2 young women making plans for the rest of day. A ripple of what he could only assume was guilt washed over him. They seemed so normal. Just like him. These thoughts werequickly washed away and replaced with the image of his slain family, laying in pools of their own blood. His children, innocent, so full of potential. Gone. His anger reared its head briefly before turning quickly into despair.  Shaking his head slowly he took a deep breath in before throwing the small marble into the fountain. The marble sunk to the bottom of the water and settled there. He almost thought it hadn't worked. Then, the marble began to vibrate and glow before a blinding flash of light knocked him from his feet. 

It was done. He was free.