Chapter 11

I nod, feeling his eyes on me as I look around. People are either pointedly looking away or shamelessly staring at us. "Can we talk back at the school?" I ask, and he nods, biting his lower lip nervously.

"Well, good timing then."

I turn to find an old friend of mine, Lukas, standing at the doors with a dragon -- a beautiful and large creature with scales that shimmer like gold. "What the hell, Lukas?" I ask, smiling in amusement at his sudden appearance, and his stoic face still doesn't change. He's a Ravenclaw, and it fits him rather well. I usually don't see him too often, because he's taken all of his classes early, and I'm still not sure how he did it. Not to mention, he's doing many internships that take the place of some of his classes, one of which being dragon handling.

All he does is shrug. "We can't use magic to get back to Hogwarts because they're working on the magical barrier. We have to ride this guy." He pats the dragon on the side, and the beast huffs out a breath of hot air.

"I've never seen a tame dragon before," I comment, walking up to the creature, and it seems to like me, judging by the way it starts to nuzzle my side. I grin, petting it lovingly. It's actually rather cute in a weird way.

"He's not tame, just nice," Lukas adds, and I roll my eyes. I could have sworn I saw a small hint of amusement in his icy blue eyes. 

"That's reassuring," I murmur, smiling when the dragon stretches out its neck for me to scratch. The individual scales are smooth like silk, but the way they fall against it's sinewy body makes it feel rough. It's an odd feeling.

Alfred nervously comes up behind me, and I feel my body become uncomfortably aware of his presence. I wish he didn't have this sort of affect on me. Even after everything, I want to lean against him and hold him as close as possible.

"I suggest you stop. He'll let you pet him all day, and we have to go." Lukas gives Alfred and me a pointed look, and I find myself blushing. His face is misleadingly blank, and I wonder what he's thinking. Though, he's probably thinking about his boyfriend, Matthias. He'll never admit it, but he's in love with the obnoxious boy. I can see it in his eyes, which always seem to follow his blonde partner. It's a shame he isn't here.

"Right," I agree, stretching out my wings. "I'll fly alongside," I state. "It's been a while since I've taken these for a spin." I flap my wings in emphasis, and the Nordic boy nods. 

"I don't care either way."

He manages to load up the four idiots onto the dragon, the headmaster and her colleagues staying behind to deal with my sister. My four classmates are all anxious about the new experience, and it seems to aggravate a tired Lukas, seeing as they won't shut up about their fear.

Because the castle is practically destroyed from all the rebellious battles that occurred, the windows are empty of glass, gaping holes that seem to lead into nothing but inky blackness, which is dotted with beautiful specks of light. Even the moon is out and it looks incredible. How did it get dark so quickly? Then again, we're probably in another time zone as well. At least dragons are obnoxiously fast. 

"Arthur," Alfred says, causing me to look to him. He nibbles his lower lip in an inappropriately attractive way, sighing softly. "Meet me in the courtyard when we get back, please."

I nod, not knowing what else to do as I find nearly everyone's gazes burning into me after his question. "Alright."

Squatting slightly as I stretch out my wings, I flash Lukas a nod before lifting myself up with a powerful flap of my wings, successfully launching me out of the gaping window. 

"We're right behind you," Lukas calls out, and I hear the dragon shifting and moving as it prepares to fly. 

I make it a few hundred feet into the air, feeling the brisk wind ruffle my wings and hair as I lift myself higher and higher, practically becoming weightless. Twirling, I feel a smile stain my face as the euphoric feeling of flying fills my veins. I can hear the loud flap of the dragon's wings as it flies out after me, and I turn to face it, watching it glide through the air gracefully, eyes tracking me playfully.

"Arthur," Lukas warns, giving me a look that says he knows what I'm up to. 

Feeling playful and relieved, I stick my tongue out at the boy before turning my gaze back to the dragon. "Wanna race?"

The beast's eyes light up with excitement, and he bellows out in approval, flapping his wings for added emphasis. Grinning, I nod and turn towards the direction we're supposed to travel to. I take off in the direction of the castle with a strong flap of my wings, throwing myself forward in the sky and easily gaining the lead. The dragon starts to catch up, beating its wings furiously as it rushes forward, almost chasing me. I can't help the laugh that bubbles up from my throat. Twirling in mid air, I grin when the dragon reaches me, even with me for the lead. Its gaze falls upon my emerald one, and I swear I see a bit of hot air escape its nose.

I feel Alfred's eyes on me, and when I look, I find everyone looking at me. It makes me blush, but the dragon starts to pull ahead, causing me to brush the looks that I'm getting off and fly faster. I know it may be considered cheating, but I start to let my magic leak out. The dragon notices and seems amused by this, so I take it as the idea that he's okay with it. 

Deciding it'll be a nice show and something that will take the lead, I let my aura show, blazing emerald green that licks around my body like fire that fills my body with power and energy, blasting forward and nearly out of sight with a laugh that I don't even bother to contain. I'm sad to say that this doesn't last, and I grow tired, causing the dragon to take the lead and even beat me to the castle. It was rather foolish to try beating the speed of a dragon in the first place, though.

"That was lovely," I say, patting the beautiful dragon on the nose lovingly as we land just outside the castle. on the grounds where Hagrid's hut is located. The beast hums, nuzzling softly into my touch before huffing out a breath of hot, tired air and laying down, closing its eyes and quickly dozing off. "Bloody hell, that's cute," I murmur, watching fondly as the beast turns over in the grass. 

I feel a presence behind me. "There are a lot of cute things out here."

I turn around, feeling my face heat up as a remorseful looking Alfred makes eye contact with me. "I-I, uh..." I swallow thickly and tuck my wings behind me shyly, avoiding eye contact out of embarrassment. 

"Can I talk to you?" he whispers, sounding more broken than I ever thought he would. It makes my heart ache.

"Sure," I murmur, looking to him yet avoiding his gaze as he holds his hand out to me.

With hesitation I'm rather ashamed of, I take it and follow him obediently as he leads the two of us away from the others. 

And finally, we're alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heylo, my lovely little nuggets! I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but since I'm so late HAPPY BELATED HOLIDAYS AND NEW YEAR!!!!!! HAVE ARTIE RACING A DRAGON Lol. Don't forget to leave any comments and suggestions you might have. They always make my day :) Anyway, I'll see y'all nuggety readers in the next update! Until then, have an absolutely fantastic and fabulous day! Bai!!! >:3

-IggyScones