CHAPTER 3

REYNA p.o.v

The battle had begun, and it wasn't going well.

The Twelfth Legion was arrayed on the Field of Mars, trying to protect the city. Scorpions fired into the ranks of the Earthborn.

Hannibal the elephant plowed down monsters right and left, but the defenders were badly outnumbered. I flew around the giant Polybotes, trying to keep him occupied.

Veteran demigods from the city had joined the battle,and were pushing their shield wall against an onslaught of wild centaurs.

But then she saw him, riding a hellhound? though I have to admit he looked like a God.

"Fifth Cohort!" he bellowed. "Get your Imperial gold weapons right here!"The campers recovered from their shock and mobbed the chariot. Percy handed out the equipment as quickly as he could.

Soon the Fifth Cohort was equipped with new weapons and shields and helmets. They Weren't exactly consistent. But they were suddenly the most powerful cohort in the legion.

"Follow the eagle!" Frank ordered. "To battle!"

At the base of the aqueduct, the First and Second Cohorts were trying to encircle Polybotes, but they were taking a pounding.

I soared above the giant, diving in with my javelin whenever he turned his attention to the ground troops.  Polybotes jabbed his trident and swung his weighted net, but Scipio was nimble.

I locked eyes with Percy and gave him a huge smile.

"Romans!" My voice boomed across the fields.

"Rally to the eagle!"Demigods and monsters alike turned and gawked as Percy bounded forward on his hellhound.

"What is this?" Polybotes demanded.

Percy raised the eagle and shouted, "Twelfth Legion Fulminata!"

Thunder shook the valley. The eagle let loose a blinding flash, and a thousand tendrils of lightning exploded from its golden wings—arcing in front of Percy like the branches of an enormous deadly tree, connecting with the nearest monsters, leaping from one to another, completely ignoring the Roman forces.

Cohorts were facing one surprised-looking giant and several hundred smoking piles of ash. The enemy's center line had been charred to oblivion.

The look on Octavian's face was priceless. The centurion stared at Percy with shock,then outrage. Then, when his own troops started to cheer, he had no choice except to join the shouting: "Rome! Rome!"

Polybotes bellowed. A dozen fresh basilisks fell out of his hair, turning the grass to poison yellow. "You think this changes anything, Percy Jackson? I cannot be destroyed!  Come forward, son of Neptune.  I will break you!"

Percy dismounted. "Frank, Hazel," Percy said, "help the Fourth Cohort. I've got a giant to kill."

He raised Riptide, but before he could advance, horns blew in the northern hills.Another army appeared on the ridge—hundreds of warriors in black-and-gray camouflage,armed with spears and shields. Interspersed among their ranks were a dozen battle forklifts, their sharpened tines gleaming in the sunset and flaming bolts nocked in their crossbows.

"Amazons," Frank said. "Great."Polybotes laughed. "You, see? Our reinforcements have arrived! Rome will fall today!"

I couldn't believe it, he had done it. After all these years i'll finally get to see my sister!

The Amazons lowered their spears and charged down the hill. Their forklifts barreled into battle. The giant's army cheered—until the Amazons changed course and headed straight for the monsters' intact eastern flank.