Chapter 14: Date Night

ZION's POV

Just three months from now, CEO Chen will resign from his position and pass down the company to its successor.

I and Vice President Chen were the nominees.

My father still has three years to complete his tenure but wanted an early retirement. He desired to just enjoy his life with my Mom until he can.

My grandfather didn't approve at first, for he was the CEO for many terms. And was expecting my Dad to do the same for the company. But for some reasons, he just agreed. Maybe he regretted that during his time, he neglected his family. And didn't want Dad to do the same mistake.

But in all fairness to my Dad, he had served three full terms ever since he became a CEO, at the age of thirty-four. And currently on his fourth.

And it seems he had planned ahead of time, to make me his successor, by forcing me to be the President for such a young age.

And here I am, I thought I still have three more years to fix the corruption and build myself a strong foundation inside the company. But I was wrong.

Now, I'm not sure if my three years in the company had earned the trust of the employees. Especially the board of directors, shareholders and investors.

When Dad told me of his plan before announcing his resignation, I was willing to give way to my Uncle to be the next CEO. Since he was in the company for a very long time and of course, I, myself, still inexperienced to handle such corporation. My Dad just kept silent and told me, "If he was the rightful one, I would have not seized your youth."

What he said became an enigma to me. And my stepping stone to investigate my uncle's doing. That's when I understand what he meant.

That is why I'm working hard for this upcoming transition. Gaining sympathy is not my forte nor pleasing people. Proving one's self is my ideal.

"Adan, report."

Mabilis naman itong lumapit sa akin at nagsimula ng magbasa.

I massaged my temple while listening to him. We've been working non-stop at kita na rin sa kanya ang pagod.

"'Yon lang po Boss. Tingin ko po malapit na natin maachieve ang goal natin para sa paparating na election," pagtatapos nito.

"Good. Sabihan mo ang team na meron kayong long weekend, starting today."

"Kasama po ba ako?" paninigurado pa niya.

"Yeah! Just make sure you are reachable, just in case. You can have your out now."

Mabilis naman itong tumango at napa yay pa saka tuwang-tuwang nagpasalamat. At segundo nga lang ay wala na siya sa harapan ko.

Inayos ko na rin ang mga dokumentong nasa mesa ko at tiningnang mabuti kung mayroon bang naligaw na confidential files. At nang masiguro kong wala na, ay naisipan ko na ring umuwi at magpahinga.

For the whole week ay puro overtime kami at halos di na 'ko umuuwi sa sarili kong bahay. It's very convenient that I have my own room complete with toilet and bath, in my office. Kahit papaano, ay nakakasave ako ng time sa biyahe.

I scanned the whole place and walked towards the door. I opened it and instantly frowned at the commotion.

Maybelle is trying to stop a woman from entering the office while Adan is talking sense to her.

They stopped at once when they saw me. And automatically, the woman flashed her smile at me.

"Boss," sabay namang wika ng dalawa.