Chapter 1~

Mare's P.O.V~

Tufts of grey floated carelessly, strewn over a pale blue sky, glowing with a rose-like light. Streams of sunlight hit the stones outside giving them a gold and almost pink hue.

The few trees there were had almost shed, leaving a blanket of crisp, autumn leaves coating the ground.

The air was cold. Just cold enough, that if you breathed, you could see your breath - a small cloud of breath dancing in front of you. I knew it.

But I couldn't go outside to see the cloud of my breath slowly blend into the autumn air.

I couldn't go outside to jump on the leaves and hear the crunch. I could only watch through the small window Maven had given me.

It was more of a punishment than reward. To see the world outside, but not being able to live freely in it.

I traced over yesterday's scars, then finally, his brand. A reminder of why I was here, trapped, unable to use my power.

I itched to use my lightning. To have the freedom to let my power loose. To not have silent stone wrapped around my wrists and cell walls, suffocating me, making me weak.

The feeling of silent stone put a dulling feeling over me, washing away any energy I might have had. It was seriously taking it's toll on me.

Then the cell door banged open, making me jump, causing my tight manacles to chafe against my already sore skin. Everything hurt.

Where did the lightning girl go? Who am I now? A weak little girl all tied up in the lair of a fire-conjuring devil?

So a few months in the imprisonment of Maven and you break? Pull yourself together.

Don't. let. him. win.

I knew who it was. Maven. And he looked angry. No, not angry, infuriated.

He slammed the door behind him, walking to me.

Was he going to hit me? He usually had his guards do that. An uneasy feeling settled in the bottom of my stomach and I braced myself for him to hit me.

But the blow never came.

Instead, he slammed his lips hungrily onto mine, kissing me furiously.

I froze, shocked. I kept my lips unmoving, still. I tried so hard not to feel anything but I had still loved him. And feelings like that can't just disappear completely.

He's a monster. He's a monster. He's a monster. How many people has he killed?

Maven soon realised I wasn't kissing him back and grabbed my hair, the action sending pain shooting down my scalp. I tried to push him back, but I was too weak.

"Whatever I say, you do, got it?" Maven growled in my ear. "Don't forget you're just a pathetic little girl,
without your power. You might have had lightning. You might be a newblood. But you still bleed red."

I breathed in deeply, in order to stop myself making a remark. I looked at him, remembering the plans we made. How I had stupidly loved and trusted him. A silver. They only thought of us as rats, pests. And they didn't care if they stamped on a good few of us.

In emphasis, he dragged a dagger down my skin, just deep enough to scratch the surface, leaving a thin line of red blood. It throbbed at first, then began to sting and hurt.

He dropped the dagger with a clatter and it was the only sound in the dark cell, apart from our breathing.

His body still covered mine, and he looked into my eyes with an intensity full of lust and anger.

He leaned towards me, our noses touching. I became aware of the arm he used to trap me in a cage of him.

Do something, do something.

"And don't forget you bleed and die like the rest of us." I spat at him.

I looked into his eyes, lit bright, cold blue in the dark cell. Not icy blue, but like the hottest blue flame. The molten silver flecks in his eyes more prominent than ever. His eye bags were made more obvious by his pale skin. The emotion held inside was dangerous.

Shit. Stupid, stupid Mare. Why do you do this to yourself?

His breathe mingled with mine. The rise and fall of his chest slightly uneven.

"Since you think you're so clever talking to your superior like that, we'll see how much you can bleed, lightning girl." He said in a mocking, dangerous tone.

Shit, Mare. You always have to open your mouth, don't you?

The last thing I saw was the same  pair of intoxicating blue eyes before everything turned black and dizzy before me and the darkness welcomed me.