Chapter One - The Letter

The city lights were on when California made it home, the pale, orange light illuminating the otherwise dark living room. With the current time, it's understandable that her parents were in bed. Locking the front door, California left a trail of outdoor clothes from it to the bottom of the stairs. As she tiptoed up them, she listened out for the telltale sounds of her parents, her mother's loud snoring, and her father's occasional mumble. Usually she could hear both, which encouraged her to be as silent as possible. Successfully making it up the old, creaky stairs, California slid into her room, the door closing with a soft 'click' behind her. Flopping down on her bed, she sighed. Her curtains were wide open, the lights from the city casting shadows of her window boxes on the roof. Her weary eyes scanned the small room.

It was her childhood bedroom, but none of it seemed to spark happy memories of a carefree child. The desk beside the window reminded California of the long, exhausting nights she spent studying for tests, working on coursework, researching. The blush rose colour of the walls that had been painted shortly before she was born, never allowed to change, had faded over time. The old bed she was lying on, brought back memories of restless nights. The most recent addition to the room brought back plenty of uncomfortable, and unpleasant thoughts, the unused wedding dress in the closet, the train poking out of the partially shut door.

However, California wasn't focusing on any of these memories, what had caught her eyes was a shadow, standing in the dark corner, where the city light didn't reach. A tall figure. Almost immediately, California was wide awake, brandishing the baseball bat she kept in the gap between the bed and the wall. Focusing on the shadow, she began to relax, lowering the bat. It was too tall and thin to be him. Instead, her father, his shoulders shaking, walked into the glow of the city. Not wanting to be surprised by anything else, as California set the bat down, she turned on the lamp. This illuminated Rohan, who was struggling to keep quiet.

"Don't do that to me, dad." California groaned quietly, not willing to awaken the sleeping beast a few doors down.

"But your reaction was hilarious Cal! I'm just glad you figured out it was me before I was beaten." Rohan's deep voice quivered as he kept his laughter in, sitting down on the bed next to his daughter.

"I thought you were asleep, why are you awake at 11?"

"Because it's the only time your mother isn't controlling your life, a fact that you've taken advantage of multiple times."

"Well, I had to hang out with Dara somehow! I thought no one knew about that! Anyway, why do you want to talk to me without mum overhearing?"

"Because I know you're not happy, and I don't want to stand by anymore. I want to help you."

"So you did overhear that argument yesterday. Why didn't you say so?"

"Because your mother would have my head if she knew what I had."

"Oooh! Now that's gotten me interested. What is it?"

"Do you remember my dad, Devon Sparks?"

"Yeah, Grandpa Sparks. He passed away a few years ago, right? Mum refused to let me leave college to attend the funeral."

"Yes, well, he left you something I think you're ready for."

"He left me something? But mum said he didn't..." California's voice trailed off as she held back tears. Rohan shifted, pulling his daughter into his arms.

"She hid it from both of us, but I found it today when I was fixing the loose floorboard in our bedroom. I assume she's forgotten about it." Rohan pulled a faded envelope from his pocket, handing it to California. She held it, looking at the elegant script her name was written in. When turned over to open, California discovered the seal flap was torn off. "Your mother opened it, but if I knew my father, there would have been his trademark purple wax stamp on the back. Go ahead." Taking a deep breath, California pulled out a few sheets of paper. As she read them, her father rubbed her back. Looking at the flowing script, they both were flooded with memories of the late Devon. California began to read;

                           *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

Dear California,

If you are reading this letter, you must be in dire need of a change.

The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.

I've enclosed the deed to that place... my pride and joy : Rosewood Acres. It's located in Stardew Valley, along the southern coast. It's the perfect place to start your new life.

This was my most precious gift of all, and now it's yours. I know you'll honour the family name, my girl.

Good Luck.

Love, Grandpa

P.S. If Lewis is still alive, say hi to the old guy for me, will ya? And if Sebastian is still there, tell him to look in the barn's safe. Take it easy on the lad, I've a feeling the two of you could get along well.

                               *・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*

The last sheet of paper was the official document which said that California owned Rosewood Acres. When she had finished reading the letter, California graciously accepted the tissue her father offered her.

After they had calmed down, California looked at her father. "This sounds amazing and all, but how am I supposed to leave? Mum has a tight leash on both of us. I'd never make it out the front door." She sighed. Maybe she was fated to be stuck under her mother's control forever. Rohan smiled at his daughter. "Don't worry Nia, I have a plan."