Emma

It was two weeks later, and Lena and I were sitting in my living room and drinking some wine.

Ethan wasn't home from work yet since the marketing department has longer hours.

"So, how's it going with Ethan?" She asked.

I took a quick sip of my white before I set the glass on the coffee table. "It's actually going really well."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Him and I are great together. I just keep waiting for something more to happen. I mean, it's only been two weeks, but shouldn't something more happen by now?"

"Be patient, Em. It'll happen."

"I just—we've known each other for almost three years now. I'm just surprised that Ethan and I haven't become anymore than best friends-slash-fuck buddies."

"Just be straight up. Tell him you want something more."

"It's complicated. If he doesn't feel the same way, then he'll probably drop the deal."

"Just be patient, and see what happens."

"I guess." I said, taking another sip of my wine.

Ethan got home, putting his keys on the counter, then walking over and into the living room.

"Hey, Lena. Emma."

"I was just leaving." Lena said, winking at me once she was out of Ethan's sight.

I smiled to myself before taking yet another sip of my wine.

"Wanna get some sushi or something?" Ethan asked.

He was still standing, and I was still curled up on the couch with my glass of Chardonnay.

"Sushi sounds great."

"Awesome. Be ready in fifteen?" He asked. I nodded.

"Sounds like a plan."

-

Ethan brought me to a really fancy sushi restaurant.

You know, one of those dimly lit, but also really beautiful restaurants? I wasn't expecting him to bring us somewhere this nice.

"Have you ever been here before?" He asked as we both looked through the menu.

"No. Have you?"

"My parents brought me here the day after graduation."

"It's a beautiful restaurant." I said.

Ethan smiled at me. "That's why I brought you here."

I smiled, looking back down at the menu. The waiter came by and took our orders, and from the smell in the air of the restaurant, the food was going to be very good.

And it was. It was seriously the best sushi I've ever had.

"Wow. This is delicious." I said.

Ethan smiled again. "I'm glad you like it. I've been thinking about this sushi all day, so I thought I should bring you here too."

We were all the way in Thousand Oaks. If you know anything about Santa Barbara, you'd know we were an hour away from home.

Ethan drove us an hour just for good sushi, but it was way worth it.

"I like hanging out just us." I admitted. He is my best friend after all.

He smiled at me. "Me too. We should do this more often."

It almost felt like a date, but without either of us admitting that it's a date. I'm personally declaring it a date.