Starstruck

Spaceberry

(Outertale sans x underswap sans)

Word prompt: stars

Blue had seen the stars before.

Yes, he had been born underground in his universe, but after becoming aware of the multiverse he had been keen on exploring it. There were a surprising amount of surface AUs, and in all of them the world was so much bigger than he had ever begun to imagine.

Blue had been to a number of places to look at the stars. On a boat in the middle of the ocean, simply watching the stars reflect off of the rough waves or in the middle of a desert surrounded by nothing by the sand and the night sky. Every place was a different experience, though all of them were beautiful.

But the stars were always so far away. No matter where he went, and no matter how deceivingly close they appeared- Blue always hated the fact that they remained worlds above him.

So when Outer surprised him by taking him to space in his home universe for their first anniversary, he had been ecstatic.

His excitement had been tangible as he hurriedly got fitted for his suit and nearly uncontainable as he put it on. He couldn't help but smile as his lover made a teasing comment about how he would vibrate out of it if he didn't calm down. But for good measures of course, Blue had taken Outer's hand into his own.

There was quite literally nothing just like being (in) the sky. The feeling of being surrounded by pure void and stars and colors was something that couldn't be put into words properly. That didn't stop Blue from still trying to formulate a description in his mind. His eyes darted around eagerly, desperate to sear the image into his memory.

But he still found it disappointing in a way.

Outer, who had somehow grown used to Outertale's amazing scenery, had nodded off as he often had the tendency to do. He was bobbing limply in his suit and mostly likely would have floated off to the end of his line if Blue had not had a firm grip on his hand. The tiny sans huffed indignantly.

"OUTER! THIS IS NO TIME FOR NAPPING!"

Outer, awakened by Blue's voice blaring through his headset, chuckled goodheartedly. "i'm up, i'm up," he placated drowsily. "no one's sleeping here."

"WELL PLEASE KEEP IT THAT WAY."

Blue would have almost had the courage to be irritated if Outer wasn't so cute.

A tired blush still clung to his face as he continued to assure Blue that he didn't plan on drifting off again. His multicolored magic shifted from vivid shades of blue to soft purples across his cheeks, splattered with white and silver freckles. It looked like he had fallen asleep in a pile of aether and stardust.

The realization of his own satisfaction quickly followed his admiration, and he held his boyfriend's hand a little tighter in contentment.

The sky's stars were beautiful, but he liked his own  much, much more.